We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Franklin, Wisconsin
reviews: 9
Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

Hello,

Is there a place that will rent these by the hour, where and how much? Big enough for four? My husband thinks we should go out on our own in the Bay...not so sure that is a good idea? We will be there 2/28 through 3/9.

Thank you!!!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
1. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

Only seen them at hotels/resorts

Chatham, Canada
reviews: 4
2. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

A lot of resorts will have Hobie Cats for you to use, not sure if four adults would be comfortable on one.

Columbus, Ohio
reviews: 45
3. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

Maybe consider a panga with a captain to take you out on the bay. You rent the panga (boat) for 4 to 8 hours for a set per hour fee. You have the option of fishing, snorkeling or just site seeing. In July I rented a panga for four hours and went south from the pier for site seeing. I hired the Lucero (morning star, in Spanish) with Alberto as the captain and he was great. He knew history of the area, loved to joke and good English. Here is Alberto's cell phone # 044-322-229-7150. If you dial from a land line dial the 044, if you dial from a cell phone do not dial the 044. If you get a recording in Spanish, he is out of cell range, just try again in a couple of hours. The boat and captain have licenses and insurance.

I hope this helps. What ever you decide, Enjoy!

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 58
4. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

It sounds like you're talking about more of a bareboat charter, if you want it to hold 4 people. There are hourly or a few hours rentals in the bay.....but I know absolutely nothing about any of them though. But, they're there, look online.

If you've bareboated in the past, you know you have to jump through the appropriate hoops to get any kind of boat like that...proving experience etc. as you would anywhere. Any company that doesn't have a list of requirements....I wouldn't take their boat out.

Anyway, look online under ...sailboat charters Puerto Vallarta, if that's what you were interested in.

Some of them also teach sailing....just fyi...not knowing your experience. :-)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 136
5. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

I did the greatest PRIVATE sailboat ride in Banderas Bay about a year ago. We went through Charlies Sailing and Sportfishing. Ask for Jonathan. He will set you up. I wouldn't do it on my own as it's pretty tricky to maneuver the ropes, sails, etc. In fact, as one sail was being shifted over to the other side, I was sitting on the front of the boat (and I'm not a boat person so didn't know this) and the rope holding it got wrapped around my leg (because my legs were on it, YIKES!) and I had to quickly untangle my leg as it was swinging over to the left, or I would have gone with it and been dragged into the water, LOL.

Anyways: this is the website: http://cssfishing.com (ask for Jonathan)

My friend and I scheduled a PRIVATE sailboat ride all over Banderas Bay and to also see the sunset. It was AMAZING! I've never sailed before and I could hardly stand the anticipation. It was so cool. We chose how long we wanted our sailboat ride to be and what kind of boat we wanted and Jonathan set it up. He even sent us pictures by email before we went- of several boats and we got to pick which one we wanted. Ours had a bathroom on board as well. I think it was a 30foot or 35foot. We talked with Jonathan before we went to PV and arranged to have salsa, chips, guacamole, fresh fruit (picked out which fruit we wanted) and water. We paid for this, but he brought it (his wife made the salsa). We stopped at OXXO along the way and brought soda pop (as we didn't want to drink while sailing).

This boat can hold 2-6 people comfortably. It was the best excursion I did on that trip to PV.

Franklin, Wisconsin
reviews: 9
6. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

Thanks 777Deana and buckeyfan, great suggestions and I'm going to check them out. Would you mind telling me the cost, just so I have an idea what to expect? Thanks again!!!

Portland, Oregon
7. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

I sent you a private message.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
8. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

There's no bareboat rentals here if the vessel has an engine, then you'll need a Mexican Licensed captain.

Deana, doesn't sound very encouraging if the captain allowed that to happen - legs caught in the lines, in this case it's called a 'sheet', any good captain, and I was one, would have seen this !

9. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 3:56 pm, January 13, 2014
Portland, Oregon
10. Re: Small sailboat or catamaran rentals?

Well JR..... You had to be there to see it. You weren't there. The captain was busy doing the quick shift change of sails. I don't know what you call it but there was action taken when he did see this. I am not a sailboat person. I do not know the rules or where to sit. It happened very quickly and I'm sure I picked a wrong place to sit. I don't feel I need to defend what happened. I just shared my experience (which I might be more reserved to do next time if judgement happens from people who were not there).

People should be careful on how they respond to messages. JR, it's here-say how you responded since you did not see it happen and you weren't there. Did you see the captain allow it? No. You were not there. (imo). So I don't think its ok to pass judgement on this captain. (imo).

Trying to say this in a nice way........ :)