We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Tortilla Soup?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Comox BC
reviews: 59
Best Tortilla Soup?

Yup it has been asked before but the threads are pretty old so thought I'd get a 'modern version' started. :-)

The best I've had is in Zi at Casa Viejo but can't really just drop in from PV to have that so am in search of recommends for PV. Let me say at the outset, although many seem to love it, I do not care for Ernesto's TS at all. I want soup not stew. I want nice sized chunks of avocado and lots of corn tortilla strips. I'll be checking out Encanto's TS this year along with their Shrimp Chile Rellenos (Chile Rellenos being my other fave thing). Hole in the wall/off the beaten track is fine. So tell me your favorites por favor. :-)

24 replies to this topic
Redlands, California
reviews: 26
11. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

Nacho Daddy is never mentioned for their food, but they have great tortilla soup. I prefer thin tortilla soup, light on the cheese. I had tortilla soup at La Playita in May, thought it was very good. After reading a lengthy thread on Ernesto's soup, I gave it a try. I didn't care for it, but my stew-loving husband loved it.

Each trip I look for the "best" of something. I may re-visit TS next trip. It's one of my favorites-right up there with rellenos and enchiladas.

Vancouver Island...
12. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

The best tortilla soup? Very difficult to say, as this soup is made different in every establishment in Mexico that offers it....The best, the very best, is mine!

Puerto Vallarta...
13. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

here is the original recipe of dianica´s tortilla soup

food.com/recipe/dionicias-famous-chicken-tor…

from her famous ernesto grub

buen provecho

chico

canada
reviews: 22
14. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

Obviously a personal choice, but I like the one at Nacho Daddys.

Edited: 7:33 pm, September 24, 2013
Wpg
15. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

I haven't tried speedo's TS but the TS at El Toritos was great.

Specs

Twin Bridges...
reviews: 1
16. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

I like the TS at Fajita Republic. They bring all the fixings on the side, so you can add the onions, avocados, and cheese to your liking and it's not too thick, more broth like.

Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 78
17. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

The tortilla soup at Las Alcatraces is good and nicely presented. they start by brining you a bowl with the "extras" in it, then pour the broth over it at your table.

We went to the Los Alcatraces near Costco, but there's also one across from Mega and (I think) one in the Marina.

I do like Ernesto's the best, a friend of mine likes El Torito better. It's not a dish that has just one recipe, and I had to laugh at the thought of which one "Mexican foodies" like best. It's almost a soup designed to use up leftovers.

Redlands, California
reviews: 26
18. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

I make tortilla soup from leftovers at home. To me, leftovers=great soup.

Chicago, Illinois
reviews: 6
19. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

We call that MishMosh Soup at our house, Spotcat

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 11
20. Re: Best Tortilla Soup?

If youre ok with buffet (and a good one at that) Sirloin Stockade has a great Tortilla Soup with all the fixins on the side also.

Reply to: Best Tortilla Soup?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted