We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is more expensive aside from hotels- Cancun or Puerto...

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
South texas
What is more expensive aside from hotels- Cancun or Puerto...

Which place would you say is more expensive when it comes to food, activities, and such- Cancun or Puerto Vallarta? We are considering going to either this summer, and aside from the fact that Cancun has a beautiful beach, we don't know which place to go. A friend of ours recenlty went to Cancun and spent 2,000 on food, souveniers, SOME activities and such, and that is twice our budget of spending money. I have always heard that Cancun is more expensive (hotels aside) because it's become so touristy. Any ideas, experiences?

Granite Bay, CA
reviews: 3
1. Re: What is more expensive aside from hotels- Cancun or Puerto...

Cancun is definately way more expensive than P.V. and much more Americanized.

Kansas City
2. Re: What is more expensive aside from hotels- Cancun or Puerto...

we've been to both cancun & pv & there are pros & cons to both. (PV in my opinion is the best choice, but that's just my opinion.) All but one time, we've tried to be very budget minded & here's what we found out:

do your research, check air prices, air & hotel packages, etc. Not sure what your air cost would be out of texas, but coming from KC, air is relatively expensive to go to PV. So... travel if possible when there's a charter. We've had tons of luch with funjet. We went to Cancun for under $700 per person last summer because we waited till the last minute to book. This price included air, AI hotel & transfers. Often times it's better to set aside a block of time & be flexible on destination till the very end. It works for us.

this time (we leave for pv in april) we booked through worry free vacations. again, charter plane. we booked for less than $800 per person. You can also try apple vacations or even expedia, etc. (Although I've never had good luck with them.)

As far as town prices, I'd say PV is cheaper, but not by a huge amount. You can make it as cheap as it needs to be. there are a lot of great resteraunts, but if you do AI, you can always eat at your hotel.

Hope this helps!

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 6
3. Re: What is more expensive aside from hotels- Cancun or Puerto...

Cancun is much more expensive. Largely because most food has to be brought in. PVR is next to the agricultural state of Naryit ( spelling?). Also, the cost of living is generally higher which filters down. For example - the bus fare in Cancun is 6 pesos and PVR 6 months ago it was 4 pesos.

You might want to avoid Cancun in hurricane season, although having said that we were in PVR when hurricane Kenna hit!

As another person said- try AI in Cancun.

Have fun.