We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Indianapolis...
reviews: 8
One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

My husband and I are staying with friends in Sayulita for a few days before flying home to the States. They are taking the bus back to Guadalajara and will be leaving really early in the morning. (4-5 am) We are flying out of Puerto Vallarta the same day but out flight doesn't leave until 1:30 pm. We have decided to stay the night before in PV instead of getting up early with them and hauling around our luggage all morning or just sitting at the airport for several hours. We do not have the option to stay in Sayulita as it is their vacation home and I don't want to be responsible for locking it up!

1. What is the best way to travel from Sayulita to Puerto Vallarta? I'm sure there is a bus or cabs we can take. Neither of us speak Spanish very well so I'm trying to determine which would be the least confusing, but also if the bus is significantly cheaper we might go that route. It will probably take longer but that's okay :)

2. Hotel or Condo? We are wanting to stay in "Old Town". Since we'll only be there for an evening and part of a morning I was thinking we would stay near the Malecon because that's probably what we will want to go and "see". I'm up for suggestions against this though :) Does anyone have any specific recommendations for a hotel or Condo under $100 a night?

3. We'll be arriving around 5 pm on a Friday evening and heading to the airport around 10 ish? the next day to catch our 1:30 flight. Is there a bus stop in the Old Town/ Malecon area that goes to the airport or is our best bet to take a Cab? How much should we expect to pay for this? I like to have a good idea before hand so when I ask the cabbie the fare I don't get overcharged:)

4. If you only had one evening and a few hours in the morning in PV what wouldn't you miss? I know there is a TON to do, but I'd like some suggestions so we have a few options to choose from.

Seattle
reviews: 12
21. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

i've told this story before and been scolded on this forum more than i care to admit. here it is again...

i DO tell them the price it should be. the answer my last trip was no, it's 200 peso. i'd already walked away from my apartment up to the highway (because there were no cabs at the usual place) and was standing by the side of the road with my suitcase. i didn't feel need to say "fine i'll wait for another taxi". i'd usually tip up to about this amount anyway, so this time i didn't, i just got in and paid the price. OK my people?

Those of you stating the 120 peso price, which is good to know from the Olas Altas area, please remember this huge difference we are talking about (between yours and my 200 peso price) at today's rate is $6.33usd.

suze

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 96
22. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

Iyamscifi2

You said LaPalapa is at LIndo Mar. Do you mean La Playita?

Ont.Canada
reviews: 18
23. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

We always get the bus back from Sayulita (25. Pesos)If you have luggage the bus driver will drop you off at the Comfort Inn next door to the airport. Stay at the Comfort Inn ($55) don't have to worry about traffic, roadworks, punctures, etc.

From the hotel catch a taxi into south side (80pesos) walk along the beach, visit all the great places along

Olas Altas, Basil B. Etc. Sea Monkey, Los Muertos Brewing, lots of great places to visit.

Then head north over the river and walk along the malecon until you are tired or it is too late. Catch a taxi back to Comfort Inn (60 pesos) In the morning free hot breakfast in the hotel & depending how confident you feel another trip downtown or walk 3 minutes round the corner to the Marina boardwalk, see all the boats, lots of shops, restaurants, etc. You can leave your luggage at the hotel, they will lock it up until it's time to leave for the airport.

Have a great trip you will luv Puerto Vallarta.

Please print off & carry JR's maps which can be found here vallartainfo.com

Indianapolis...
reviews: 8
24. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

Thanks to everyone for your wonderful Suggestions! I think we've narrowed it down to either Hotel Rio or Posada de Roger. I'll have to discuss with my Husband tonight and decide! I did find a condo near Hotel Rio that would rent for one night, but we aren't going to spend much time in the room and we have not yet determined exact time of arrival so I think a Hotel (which would have a staff on hand to check us in whenever) is our best bet.

Traveling from Sayulita to Puerto Vallarta might be a game time decision. We'll either take the bus as far as it will take us then catch a cab, or cab it the whole way. Its possible a few others from our group will be traveling the same route as us so that might make a cab more affordable. I think we'll just wait til the day of and go from there!

Again thanks for the help!

Calgary, Canada
25. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

A word of advice about Hotel Rio - it's on a very busy, very noisy main street. You may want to keep that in mind when speaking to your husband, as if you're only taking a room for one night you might still want some peace and quiet for sleeping.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
26. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

but the Posada de Roger is also on a very busy intersection, it's a matter of choosing a room away from the street if noise is a problem.

Seattle
reviews: 12
27. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

<I think we've narrowed it down to either Hotel Rio or Posada de Roger.>

In my opinion, Posada Roger has a LOT more going for it. I like the location better, the pool is sunnier, great restaurant for breakfast, it just has a nicer feel to it. I've stayed a Roger's a dozen times. To me there is no contest between those two. -suze

Calgary, Canada
28. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

Comparing amenities of the two I think the nod would have to go to the Roger. There are also more rooms there that you can choose away from the noise...and the street noise lessens considerably around midnight. What's left is usually easily masked by white noise from the A/C unit.

Poland, Ohio
reviews: 32
29. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

Deanna---yep I goofed

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 5
30. Re: One night in PV - Several specific questions :)

<Hotel Rio or Posada de Roger> Both good options. Rio is basically on the Malecon but Roger is right in the heart of Old Town and close to many great restaurants and bars. Either way, you'll have a great night in PV.

If you don't mind the cab fare, I'd definitely go that route in regard to getting from Sayulita to PV as it will be a much more relaxing ride and you'll get to your hotel much quicker leaving you more time to get out and explore.