We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Neck, NY
reviews: 32
Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

Finally am at the computer WITH the business cards that i collected in May - One place new to us was La Coleccion on Francisco Madero #272 - wonderful pieces of decor for the home ranging from very inexpensive to expensive - we fell in love with a sword that was actually made using a stingray sword with a carved wooden handle and a couple of semi-precious stones set into the carved handle shaped kinda like a cross - wonderful artwork! Hanging on our living room wall now - Jose Perez is the owner & has a wonderful & eclectic variety of things to buy, from wall hangings to furniture etc. if you like to look, it's like an art gallery - we gave him a deposit & returned in a day or two to pick it up, wrapped up like a pro in order to fit into our suitcase -

New to me "dulces" shop right on Basilio Badillo - although i'm looking at his card now, & it shows 2 other locations - but i'm pretty sure it's him - he has a wide range of "food" things ranging from those wonderful coated nuts to salsas & other goodies - and i think the name of the shop is Azteca - it was very near to Cafe de Ollo -

Another great little find was Lombok - again, i don't think their business card is current but it was located on the same street i think as San Marino HOtel - they have a website that you can easily google - great scented things, sort of hippy-ish in feel with some greåt artwork -

OMG - another great find for us, even tho we didn't purchase anything, was a real antique store on Venustiano Carranza, across from the "Mundo" stores - 2 floors filled with many antiques & i think some copies of antiques - great place to look through if you are into that - it's called Las Chachareras - reminds me of the Yiddish word "Chatchkas"!! LOL

And finally, a leather store called Art with Leather - 2 locations - one in el centro - the other on VC #368, again, near the Mundo stores - hubby had gotten a great leather vest a few years ago & happy that they are still in business & seem to be doing well - mind you, we go to Rolling Stone for manta-ray purchases but Art with Leather is a really great shop!!

Went to many other shops (I'm lucky that way in that my husband LOVES to shop!) but these were the stand-outs!

Vancouver
reviews: 1
1. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

I believe Lombok is an Indonesian store.

Redlands, California
reviews: 27
2. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

Your husband will ask for directions and loves to shop???? Lucky woman, you. Thanks for sharing. I'll save this post.

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 56
3. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

I believe La Collecion is where my son bought a huge metal wall hanging a couple years ago, and the man that owns it is as you say very nice and friendly.

Also went in the antique store in March and hadn't seen it before...but he said he had been there a couple years. He did say some of it is made to look old. I didn't purchase anything either, but he did have some fairly decent older good paintings along with bad paintings lol. I really liked one of them....but then again not enough to pay that much for it. Lopo....I thought it was an interesting building....much like many that we don't get to see the inside of....store downstairs and living quarters upstairs...although in this case both floors were all store.

Seattle
reviews: 12
4. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

Ooooh, I hope that shop is affilicated with the "Dulces Típicos Mexicanos" shop up on Juarez. I *love* their nuts and always buy a big bag or assorted goodies to bring home as gifts. Would be great to have an outlet on the south-side. I do remember something about Azteca on their shopping bags so perhaps the same. There were already two other locations in Centro.

suze

SoCal
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 2
5. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

I am one of those guys who hates to shop, that said I just added La Coleccion to the list for our fall trip, sounds like it has some really different/interesting stuff.

I don't even have ask for directions, I should be able to find Madero since it's only a block from where we stay ;-).

Great Neck, NY
reviews: 32
6. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

Suze - i believe you are correct about having a sister shop in El Centro -

Mojo97 - i believe you are correct about Lombok being Indonesion - they had 3 wood=carved & painted cats in graduated sizes that you stand on the floor & i loved them but was not up for getting it back to the states - we ended up buying a similarly styled set of cats that you put on a table at Mundo del Pewter - they now sit on MY table at home - we have 2 cats (live ones - my boys) at home named Salsa and Merengue - altho we didn't choose these names after latin dances, i named my new wooden ones ChaCha, Rhumba and Tango!

Meant to mention that La Collecion has a 2nd floor which i didn't go up to because, well, i was just plain tired & Hot! (and yes, lazy)

7. Re: Shopping - new places, new things - hope you like!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 17, 2014