We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels Proximity to Town

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Urbandale, Iowa
reviews: 6
Hotels Proximity to Town

This is our first time in PV and we are looking at either the Dreams in PV or the Rui Palace. How far are those from town, we don't want to spend a fortune on cabs going to town.

Thanks

Edmonton
reviews: 14
1. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

Dreams is about 10mins.south of town and a 7 peso bus ride. Riu Palace is in Nuevo Vallarta north of town and about a 45mins. bus ride. I can't remember how many pesos, but cheap.

Madison, Wisconsin
reviews: 72
2. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

If you plan on spending a lot of time in Puerto Vallarta, don't stay in Nuevo Vallarta unless you want to spend a lot of time on the road and spending a ton of taxi money. Busses are cheap but it is still a long time getting there and they don't run late at night if you are going clubbing.

"Funman"

Edited: 1:29 am, May 18, 2013
Urbandale, Iowa
reviews: 6
3. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

Are there any other suggestions for resorts you recommend that are close to town? We going to go AI, so we are looking for good food, decent beach and pools. We are a family of 5 with some late teen kids so we don't want it too laid back. I know that is a lot to ask about!

Thanks Much!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
4. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

Getting to town from Nuevo Vallarta by bus will take longer than 45min. since it requires two busses, more like an hour, cost total is about 20 pesos. A taxi would be about 210 pesos. Dreams PV is great.

Edmonton
5. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

We have taken the bus many, many time with our kids from Nuevo and it has never taken an hour. Our kids really enjoy taking the bus and we go in a few time a week, no problem if you don't mind the ride. We like it there for the great beaches, but also enjoy staying in town.

In town, you can look at the new Now Amber (very modern if you like that). The Holiday Inn and the Buenaventura are more budget friendly, fun hotels and in the hotel zone with the Buenaventura being closer to the malecon.

The nice thing about the Riu Palace is you will have many options for activities, pools and restaurants since you will have full access to the Riu Vallarta and Riu Jalisco which are withing walking distance (a condo or two between them).

Enjoy:)

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 53
6. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

Since this is your first time to PV and you're interested in town, I wouldn't stay in Nuevo. PV is a wonderful walking town, and if you just love town....which most people do, you might want to go frequently, then what? When you were planning on traveling? That can make a difference too.

Dreams PV is only 10 minutes from town. The bus is so cheap, but when you want a cab it's only going to be about 50 - 60 pesos at most.

The location of Dreams PV is great because it's also handy to many cute places south of PV by bus within 30 minutes or less, or more if you want to take a water taxi to Yelapa or the southern beaches. That's where the jungle and lusher mountains are located.

Having said that, another one that people seem to love is Sunset Plaza. You can find it on the maps on this website....along with Nuevo, Dreams PV on the conchas china map, Sunset Plaza on the Hotel Zone map and check out Villa Premiere on the north downtown map...I think north downtown anyway....if at VM you can also use facilities at Buenaventura. The maps are in order north to south, so this should help you get a feel for where everything is.

http://www.vallartainfo.com/

Just so you can make your location decision....you should know that downtown and the south side are the most popular for dining and the south side is the most popular of all, but it's also interesting to walk other places in PV too, it's just that those are the two that people tend to gravitate to the most.

Happy hunting!

Victoria, Canada
reviews: 73
7. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

I have actually stayed at both the Rui Palace and Dreams PV

Rui palace had the nicest lobby and room of any hotel I have ever stayed in ( bed was hard through)

We much preferred Dreams PV for the beach, location,food and service not having to make reservations for dinner ( Rui we could not get into many of the ala cartes)

Plus the beds at Dreams are actually sleep able

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
8. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

maried11 you probably weren't going all the way into town. I've done that trip multiple times in the last 26 years and it can not be done all the way into Puerto Vallarta proper by bus including a change at Marine Terminal.

Edmonton
9. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

Yes, I went all the way into town. Changed busses and get off in town many, many times.

Edmonton
10. Re: Hotels Proximity to Town

JR: We never do it in rush hour, usually after breakfast around 10:30 or 11am and come back before or after supper time (depending on if we've eaten out in PV or not). Others who stay in nuevo also report the same and stay there often. And no, I do not wish to take $100US from you, but if post that in the nuevo forum, I'm sure there are many who will take you up on your offer.

Edited: 5:08 pm, May 18, 2013