We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shipping stuff back to the US

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
new york
reviews: 39
Shipping stuff back to the US

Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a reliable shipper?

My hubby, who is in PV for the past 7 months, went to UPS or a UPS certified shipper on the south side. I think he went to the store where the Mismaloya bus ends/starts off of Badillo.

He shipped back a vase and a picture to his daughter in Florida. He sent it on April 8 and it didn't get to Florida until April 25. Apparently, it was held in customs for some kind of i.d. number and was ultimately shipped back to Mexico before being reshipped back out to the states.

Anyhow, the package arrived damaged as his daughter heard glass, etc., rattling aroud the package. The UPS deliveryman refused to open the package in front of her so she rejected the package. Hubby paid about $250.00 US to ship this package.

I need to ship some items back when I arrive in PV at the end of May. Needless to say, I will not be using UPS.They did a poor job of wrapping these items.

Any recommendations will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
1. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Go to Mailboxes Etc. in the small shopping center at the corner of I. Vallarta and Aquiles Serdan, they will pack and everything, good reputation.

new york
2. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Thanks, JR.

Will they let me pack the items myself if I do it right in front of them?

I'm so disappointed in UPS. That vase was one of my husband's favorites.

great neck, Ny
reviews: 2
3. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Not to worry...We shipped a $400 desk back to Kennedy Airport, packed by them. No Problem...

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 134
4. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

We bought Hernandez ceramics and they were shipped by DHL. Arrived up here in 2 days. After we left PV, they were shipped from the store by the owner thru DHL. My friends' package arrived perfect. I had two packages. One which had many "flat type plates/platters" was perfect with no damage. The other package had 3 huge rounded-chip bowls (hard to describe). One of them arrived perfect (it was the one placed on the inner-most part of the package and most protected). The other two were broken. I quickly sent off an email with pictures to the store owner. He contacted DHL. I submitted paperwork with DHL. The store owner was refunded the cost of the plates plus shipping by DHL. This whole process was very fast.

So..... The store owner said he could ship me two more, but I asked for the cash back because we were going to Playa del Carmen and knew I could find some there. He "Western Unioned" me my money and it was a done deal.

I feel DHL is one of the best way to ship things. With my experience, they handled everything promptly, efficiently and in a timely manner. JMO

Edited: 12:29 pm, April 27, 2013
Portland, Oregon
5. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Another idea.... How big are the things you want to ship from PV? You could put it in carry-on. That's what I did recently from Playa del Carmen. We were flying Delta and it is allowed. However I know Alaska Airlines does not allow it. You should check with the airlines before you go...if it is allowed. That way they arrive home when you do.... safe and sound.

Three weeks ago I hand carried 3 huge round ceramic Hernandez bowls from Playa del Carmen (plus my carry-on was full as well as a few in my checked on luggage. My arms were very tired (!) with carrying those ceramics from Playa del Carmen to Minnesota to Portland, Oregon on an all day flight trip. Waiting in airports, walking the runways, sitting, changing planes, sitting, going on the people mover walkways in the airport, transferring etc. But they made it home safe and sound. Whew!

new york
6. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Thanks NY2 PV. I will try Mailboxes, etc.

The picture that hubby shipped was one we bought from Walt Disney World in 2000 that we had in our condo. That picture cost $1,200. I can only imagine how that picture was damaged.

Thanks for the info but since you shipped your dishes from the store where you purchased it from, it was easier for you to come to a resolution regarding your package.

My hubby went to Mundos to ask them if they'll ship it but they said they only ship their stuff.

I'm sending him back there to ask the manager if he will ship for long time customers and see what they say.

Portland, Oregon
7. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

Zeb-

Make sure you have the store owner add "insurance."

*****Anyone can ship DHL. Not just store owners. You could go to DHL yourself, can't you? I know you can do it in the states. We shipped DHL from here (Portland, Oregon) to China. No problem.

Does anyone know about personal shipping at DHL from PV? It should be the same. Goes all around the world. Not just for store owners...... Actually, I'd like to know that myself, because we are going back to PV in November, and I will be using DHL to ship more ceramics. Where is it located please? Thx

new york
8. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

I know that anyone can ship with DHL. I've shipped documents with them in the past. What I meant was that since you had the store ship it to you, it was easier to get a resolution to your broken dishes and reimbursement for them as opposed to shipping this stuff yourself. At least you had a middle man to fight in your behalf.

I have sent UPS an email regarding a damaged shipment. I expect to hear from them tomorrow or Monday. Hubby will go back to the UPS shipper on Monday as they close at midday on Saturdays.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
9. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

It's less about the shipping company and more about professional packing.

San Francisco...
reviews: 104
10. Re: Shipping stuff back to the US

I ship about 100 items/month using UPS and rarely have a problem. When things do arrive damaged or go missing they are quick to pay my insurance claims