We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Sebastián

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chula Vista...
San Sebastián

We are traveling to PV in June and would love to go to San Sebastián. We have a rental car for the 10 days and noticed that the tours to SS are pretty expensive. We are really fluent in Spanish and are comfortable drivers in Mexico. Is it easy to get to San Sebastián from Puerto Vallarta? What are the recommendations?

Edited: 2:35 pm, March 18, 2013
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
1. Re: San Sebastián

Dead Easy.

I'll send you a map and info. on the roads. It's about a hour and a half, without stops.

The road from Las Juntas to Las Palmas has a lot of 'topes' (speed Bumps), sometimes with a warning sign, but not always, so keep you eyes open and don't go too fast :)

Don't miss eating at Montebello, you will be amazed ! they are closed Tue & Wed so choose another day.

Chula Vista...
2. Re: San Sebastián

That's great, thank you, I'll be waiting for the map.

Mount Vernon...
reviews: 88
3. Re: San Sebastián

We went last week with Superior Tours cuz we didn't want to rent a car. This trip is doable on your own. Like JR says there are lots of speed bumps and a slow go on part of the road. Have fun.

Calgary
4. Re: San Sebastián

Re. the Topes/ speed bumps- on our way there a couple of years ago we hit some. On the way back we snuck in behind a local pick-up truck and followed it. He knew where the topes were and we copied him as his brake lights paved the way!

It is possible(!) that the vehicle you follow doesn't have working brake lights but that will become obvious at some point!

Enjoy the trip.

NJ
reviews: 28
5. Re: San Sebastián

Enjoy the drive...I did it a few months ago and I'm not extremely fluent in Spanish, but my friends are. The drive is easy. Once you get past that long bridge, it's not far. Buy lots of coffee...It's really good there. I'm hoping to stop there next trip.

Puerto Vallarta...
6. Re: San Sebastián

Lots of speed bumps and lots of curves, but it's a gorgeous drive. You'll have a blast!

PORTLAND, OR
reviews: 12
7. Re: San Sebastián

Just did the drive a few days ago. Loved the drive, lots of great scenery. Personally, we found SS boring. It's quaint, but very quiet, not many shops etc. But if you dig the old-style architecture & history you'll enjoy it.

If you are REALLY interested in an adventure, on the way back turn north at Las Palmas & follow the road to El Colomo. It's pretty "backroady" but interesting (you have to ford a small stream at one point but we did it easily in a compact Dodge) and there's an awesome reservoir where we added a number of great birds to our life list (if you're into that). Also you'll make your way through a bunch of non-tourist towns on the way back to the main road. Just be sure you have enough gas in case you decide it's more than you bargained for and have to turn back. We loved it. :)

Puerto Vallarta...
8. Re: San Sebastián

Sounds like a nice day-trip. What kind of birds did you spot at the reservoir?

PORTLAND, OR
reviews: 12
9. Re: San Sebastián

The highlight was a Roseate Spoonbill. We'd only seen one of them once before flying overhead so that was a real treat. But at the same time there was a Great Egret, White-faced Ibis, Little Blue Heron, Coots, and several ducks we never did definitely identify. Also some sandpipers running around & Greater Kiskadee's flying around in the bushes. Pretty exciting stuff for birders and it was a gorgeous spot as well. If we'd known about it ahead of time we would've arranged to spend some time there, maybe even bring a picnic. But it was fairly late in the afternoon at that point and we wanted to make our way back to PV before dark. If you are interested in just going there, I'd take the road off of Mex 200 to El Colomo & then head south out of town & you'll end up there. Coming in from Las Palmas was a lot more challenging.

Concord, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 110
10. Re: San Sebastián

Being history buffs, we didn't find SS boring in the slightest. Been there 4 times (1 day tour, 2 day visits with friends in their vehicles and 1 time on the bus from PV --- staying overnight).

If you like beautiful mountain places, I'd recommend staying overnight there, if you have the time. We stayed in a beautiful 200-year old hacienda (Esperanza de Galera) and walked all over the place, enjoying the quiet at night and in the early morning, plus the activity of the community. If you speak fluent Spanish, an overnight stay there is pure magic. Very different from doing a day trip.

Enjoy. The topes might be big, round and metal (and dangerous if you hit them too hard) but the mountain road is pretty good, considering, and it's a beautiful drive.