We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

PV as a point of "departure".

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto
reviews: 6
PV as a point of "departure".

I own a propery in Mexico. I usually fly into PV inorder to drive to my casa. PV is a great vacation site -- but, let me encourage the adventurous among us to venture away from the AI resorts, the hotels, and timeshares and into the countryside.

Mexico is a great country to explore. Visit the small towns, go to a local rodeo, participate in the many national festivities. The good people in the state of Jalisco vacation as families, share their joy, experience the openess.

Have an adventure. Life is more than a "perfect" resort, beach, or restaurant.

jt

Hamilton, Canada
reviews: 10
1. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

Agree whole heartidley! We stay a month in a small town & a month in PV. Last year we were in Sayulita for Sayulita days & it was a ton of fun! Great parade.

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 1
2. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

Well said jt.Go Leafs

Gatineau, Canada
3. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

Well said. Leafs Suck.

Seattle
reviews: 12
4. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

<let me encourage the adventurous among us to venture away from the AI resorts, the hotels, and timeshares and into the countryside... Life is more than a "perfect" resort, beach, or restaurant.>

While I appreciate the sentiment, it comes across as pretty judgemental. I *like* to stay in town, that's why I love PV so much. All the people, local connections, things to see and do. I'm plenty adventurous, how many people have been to visit the cemetary? The Sat Farmers Market and taking Zumba classes with locals are two of my favorite things. Book signings, art gallery options, etc.

Just because I don't go into the "countryside" doesn't mean I'm stuck at an AI, timeshare or "perfect" resort laying around with a bunch of other tourists.

most sincerely, suze

Calgary
reviews: 13
5. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

I agree with the visiting real Mexico. One trip we flew into Guadalajara stayed a few days then rented a car and drove 3,000 kms (about 2,000 miles) around the interior of Mexico with one beach stop. The places on our trip included: Tepatitlan(Tequila & friends), Chapala, Mazamitla, Colima, Melaque, Playa Azul, Morelia, Uruapan(waterpark of a different kind), Zitacauro(Monarch Butterflies), thru Toluca, Taxco(Silver & Cacahuamilpa cave), Cuernavaca(Xochimilco ruins), Queretaro, Guanajuato and back to Guadalajara. Lots to see and do.

Explore Mexico. It has lots to offer, including friendship.

Seattle
reviews: 12
6. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

I would love to have an extended time in Mexico to be able to explore all kinds of other places. But the idea that being in Puerto Vallarta is somehow not "visiting real Mexico" is just plain silly. suze

Poland, Ohio
reviews: 31
7. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

tepal---thx for your experiences--sounds neat---we have friends we met in pv that travel all over mexico. their condo, however, is in pv---tells me where they really love to be.

many of us don't have the extended time to travel through mexico---only have a couple of weeks if that-- at a time. and myself i ain't done with pv and the surrounding areas yet.

Edited: 9:16 pm, March 08, 2013
Toronto
reviews: 6
8. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

Hi suze

Your inferring a "pretty judgemental" attitude in my original post is, unfounded. I purchased my Mexican property only after I had "discovered" PV. I had originally intended to buy property near Nice, France, but, the time zone differences, requisite air flights, and distance were off-putting.

For me, PV was reminiscent of Nice, same climate, similar architecture, and a different and safe culture and language.

My point, to use your examples of the PV Saturday Market and cemetary. Throughout Mexico towns and cities (like PV) have open air markets (tianguis), each has a different focus and held on a different day of the week. Similarly, (regarding cemetaries) the Mexican culture has a distinctly different outlook from ours about death -- as is evidenced by their national Day of the Dead festival at the beginning of November.

PV is great vacation spot, but --<let me encourage the adventurous among us to venture away from the AI resorts, the hotels, and timeshares and into the countryside... Life is more than a "perfect" resort, beach, or restaurant.>

jt

Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 24
9. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

My husband, Mexican born in Vallarta, finds it funny when people say "real Mexico". He wonders if you consider a small town in Iowa as the "Real U.S." or a tiny town in Northern Alberta as "Real Canada."

A thriving town that allows people ample opportunity to live in a home with running water, electricity, and good schools, medical and dental care for them and their children and places to work that pays more than 50 Pesos a day is more of a reality (or a dream for many).

I agree it is nice to go out and explore the area but many people on vacation do not want that, just as they do not want to do that when they visit any tourist destination. We all travel differently and have different wants and needs.

But let's be clear, Vallarta, like any other place in the country of Mexico is REAL MEXICO. (IF there is such a thing.)

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 1
10. Re: PV as a point of "departure".

How true.Thanks Brenda