We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Kanata, Canada
reviews: 21
Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

Schleprock luck, my daughter broke her leg last Friday and we are heading to PV Feb/15/16.

It is a nasty break of tibia & fibula with steel rod insert & 5 pins but no cast for proetction. She has been cleared by the doctor to travel, but having been to PV before, we are worried about the sidewalks and cobblestones. I have stumbled myself on occasion while I have been sober ! - other times not, but well that is a story I am sure others can related to ... 8^)

She is travelling 1 day in advance of us & we are arranging for wheel chair assistance at the airpport and to the shuttle to take her to the resort next door to our condo, so we are covered there. Wondering if anyone might know where we could rent an adult wheel chair for 2 weeks so we can be as mobile as possible during our time in PV with her. Thanks.

mexico
11. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

for some it may pay to buy your own and use it as you like

then when you have no use for the chair

you can donate the chair to some needy

that is what i did after my folks had past away

RIP

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic, Chapala
reviews: 193
12. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

Wow Kansas that is awful....:(

Not having used a W/C as yet but walker, and cane, limp and such I have found despite not US handicap standards, much kinder folks here and more willing to help.

I donated my cane and walker as well...and happily so...LOL.

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 58
13. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

edit - luckily my husband was only in a wheelchair because of his bad bad back and it was temporary or we would have been more frustrated with people. He has medical problems that will put him in one at some future date, so I'm glad to hear that the Mexican people help out in any way they can, but at the same time I'm not surprised....I always just pictured that they would. :-)

We will have to think of more restaurants for you DF. Main thing is even if a step up but that's all, or not wide enough of a doorway....the staff would help get her in and back in her wheelchair.

Actually just thought of a good place.....These are all level with the walking area .....Vitea on the Malecon Extension and Roberto's for gelato, sandwiches and lots of surprisingly good sounding things. Good people watching place too. There is also the taco cart at the end of the extension on the north side of the bridge over the Cuale. Tacos El Bigote....good hygiene practices and good food....so she could even enjoy a taco cart without any trouble.

Edited: 9:42 pm, February 07, 2013
colorado
14. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

I'm from Colorado, USA (proud of it) and I hold doors and help strangers all the time. I also see people doing the same all the time. There are still some good peeps NOB!! :-) I do love Mexico, though!!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
15. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

I agree bigdaddy...my hubby and one son are in states and they hold doors also...not just good peeps the Mexicans know how to make do...where as we have all these laws in states to help the handicap etc...do it for themselves...not here in MX, so thus people must help ..

Kanata, Canada
16. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

Kathy thank you for your insightful posts - very good information for us. Being newly thrust into this situation, we could not have thought of the points you made.

We would really love to take our daughter upstairs to Barcelona Tapas just for the view, great to know that we can dine on the ground floor now, that wil be better than not going ( we still get tantalizing emails from them)

Kansas & others for the restaurant advice we thank you as well - we will no doubt find some places to eat & the taco carts were definitely on the list this year anyway, we had checked out JR's friend's reviewed list and had a few other's lined up - maybe to visit more than we thought now ... 8^)

I so love the Cheeky Monkey for poeple watching & the odd whale show, we will find other places I am sure, I am too old to carry her up the stairs. (1 casualty this trip is enough)

I must say that this forum is special - so many people who are very helpful that care to take the time to help others - thanks to you all,

Oh yes, one note on opening doors.

I open doors or hold doors for people, men or women, just as a habit - I thought it common courtesy. Apparently it is not? I guess I must be getting old. "Do unto others" was they way I was raised, - an old man from the old school perhaps now...

Thanks folks !!

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
17. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

Have a great trip...enjoy! :) Old school is good!!!

Kanata, Canada
18. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

@bigdaddy - do not change. Make it contagious !

Cheers

Midwest
19. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

I honestly don't think that people cut in front of people in wheelchairs deliberately. When people are walking, their feet are under their heads and we move and accommodate each other in crowds without really thinking much about it.

My feet are out in front of my head and I am considerably shorter because I am seated in my wheelchair. That combination means that people don't notice me as easily because I am below their line of sight and it is more difficult for them to move without thinking because my feet aren't underneath my head, aka I get walked into more often. :)

Plus people genuinely often don't notice wheelchairs and so because they don't notice, it doesn't occur to them that the door being held open is for the wheelchair. And when people watch other people struggle to open doors when pushing a wheelchair, it can be because they have offered to help, run into someone who doesn't want the help and is unpleasant about refusing it and now they are gun shy about helping someone else because they don't want to get yelled at.

What works best for me is to assume that no one is going to notice me and that if I need help, I should just ask for it. So, I ask someone to please hold the door, I ask someone else if they would mind getting people to line up behind me so I can actually make it onto an elevator :) and people are always willing to help as long as I ask.

In Mexico, since I am actually visible to the Mexican people, I seldom have to ask for help because they notice and offer and they probably haven't been yelled at by anyone in a wheelchair for helping. In the USA it is probably closer to 75% of the people notice and 25% don't, but I've never once had anyone refuse to help when I've asked. :)

DF58, just so you know, the wheelchair doesn't count as baggage on the plane. Neither do crutches or any other medical devices. She can stay in her wheelchair to the gate, have the wheelchair gate checked and then use her crutches to get to her seat (she needs to ask to pre-board so she has enough time and doesn't get jostled). Just tell her to make sure to remove any parts of the wheelchair that come loose such as the legs and carry them on (wheelchair assistance should help with that).

In Mexico there is never a guarantee of a jetway. Most of the time I'm carried down the steps in an aisle/straightback chair from the airport. If she can manage those kinds of steps with crutches, she can use them (make sure she doesn't check the crutches....she will want them on the plane to use to get to the bathroom and they can put them in the cabin closet or overhead bins as they have priority over other stuff). Her wheelchair will be at the bottom of the steps along with a guy who pushes it and possibly another one to manage her carry-ons. Those people only get paid on tips and are generally very, very helpful.

Hope that helps!

Edited: 9:12 am, February 08, 2013
Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 27
20. Re: Coming with broken leg - where to rent a wheel chair?

I watched the crew from the PVR airport carry down the plane steps- a sweet little older woman who was in a cast and could not make it down on her own. One guy had her legs, the other had her shoulders and arms, and down she went, with a huge smile on her face.

If you want a nice place to "stroll and roll" the Marina has a nice boardwalk with many restaurants, shops, etc. A nice little trip for something different. We like El Coleguita there- the shimp/seafood combo restaurant- and the new Las Polams and Marisma Fish Taco and DZ's Rock and Roll Diner (How fitting!) for burgers :)