We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eugene, Oregon
reviews: 1
Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

My fiance and I are attempting to stay on budget. I have done a TON of research but can't choose one. I have pros and cons on each. Neither of us have been to Puerto Vallarta before. We are interested in seeing the city and want all-inclusive.

Our concerns with villa premier is it's small size and quiet atmosphere. I don't want to feel like we're in a retirement community, even though their reviews are incredible regarding food, service, and romanticism. Plus it's adults only.

Next is Dreams... again, fabulous reviews, but a little concerned with the age of the hotel. I don't know if this is being petty though.

Lastly, Now Amber. This place looks beautiful, but limited reviews due to how new it is. It's also the most expensive (menially)out of my three choices. There's concern with not quite running a type ship yet... maybe it's over rated. We can't quite afford the preferred side, unfortunately. And I don't really want little kids everywhere...

They're all in the same basic price range. I'd love to stay at Secrets, but it's just too expensive. Any thoughts or advise? I'd love to book today.

Eugene, Oregon
1. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

PS We're going June 2013

Edmonton
reviews: 14
2. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

I just saw the Dreams PV and the Now Amber and can say with confidence the Dreams is wonderful. The original tower at Dreams have been fully renovated and just finished last month, the preferred tower is also very nice. The only drawback to the original tower is that most of the rooms don't have balconies. If you can get one that does, great if not, then I would upgrade to preferred tower. Their beach is great for the pacific side of mexico. The Now Amber wasn't my favorite as it was so much concrete and too modern for me, however the beach was nicer than I expected from the comments. They are both part of the same family, so you can go dine at the others (Dreams PV, Dreams Villamagna in nuevo, Now Amber and Secrets) for the ala cartes, transportation not included.

I also went over to the Secrets side and it was almost the same, the food served was the same, pools pretty much the same, but not worth the upgrade IMO. Also, if you are at Now Amber, you are allowed/not allowed to go over, the answer isn't clear yet, but if you are adults, there is no stopping you and people just wander over anyway as there are no bracelets. The ala cartes are shared if you have no kids, so I would never pay for the upgrade, but I would choose Dreams for a honeymoon. So nice in the mountains and a very romantic feeling. The bus picks you up across the street and is 7 pesos into town and a nice easy ride.

Good luck and congrats either way:)

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 13
3. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

Consider Sunset Plaza Beach... also new, all-inclusive and they do have an adults only pool, smaller property, not much of a kids club or a draw for families, 2 ala carte restaurants (no buffets) and a deli for lunch; their 1 bedroom suite with jacuzzi, kitchen, dining/living area is priced less than the other hotels standard accpmmodations you're looking at and luxury accommodations in comparison. We've been traveling to PV for 20+ years and SBP by far is the best for accommodations, Dreams would be a very close 2nd for accommodations and the best beach. Good luck and Congrats!

new york
reviews: 40
4. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

Zambooka,

Of the 3 you mentioned, I would stay at Dreams. It has the best beach out of the three and good food, service and lush surroundings. Either tower at Dreams will do. If you want a bigger room with a guaranteed balcony than I would upgrade to the preferred building. Considering you're going in shoulder season, I would email Dreams PV to confirm your reservation about 3 weeks before and while you ask them to confirm your stay, ask them if they have any specials to upgrade to the preferred club. They'll come back with a price which you then can counter by saying something like you were hoping for an upgrade for X amount of dollars per night and see what they say. That's what we did when we visited in October.

The Now Amber was also very nice. Like Maried mentioned, it is modern with lots of concrete, albiet nice looking concrete. I would also stay at the Now Amber again but I have to say that I love Dreams a little bit more.

I have not stayed at the Villa Premiere although for me, it's too small in size.

As JNS mentioned, Sunset Beach would be an alternate but it only has 2 restaurants so you would get tired of the food quickly. Congrats.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 13
5. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

IMO Dreams is always the best choice with no compromises for accommodations, service, multiple dining options and the best beach! Garza Blanca is also a favorite with many; Villa Premiers food is comparable to fine dining in town but has the worst beach; and of the newer hotels I would consider Secrets (no kids) over Now Amber.

Sunset Plaza Beach may only have 2 ala carte restaurants but the accommodations can't be beat... the main restaurant 'the Mirador' has 3 alternate menus for breakfast, lunch and dinner, had we not gone into town for dinner a few times during the week we probably would have gotten tired of eating at the same place not the food; there is also an Italian Restaurant 'Luciano's' that was open most days for breakfast and dinner.

Wherever you stay be sure to get away from the hotel, see the town, stroll the Malecon and sample some of the great restaurants in Puerto Vallarta and you'll see why a lot of us return year after year!

Edited: 8:45 am, February 07, 2013
Chicago, Illinois
6. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

Zambooka, your story sounds similar to mine... we just booked our honeymoon for April. I haven't stayed yet, so I can't comment on any of them. But just thought I'd share that we ultimately decided on a suite at Sunset Plaza Beach...partly due to some of the reasons JNS suggested them. So if you haven't considered them yet, might be worth checking out their accomodations. However, we opted for non-all inclusive as we plan to primarily eat off site.

Eugene, Oregon
7. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

Thanks for your input!

I looked into SPB before and re-evaluated it just now... after choosing the AI option it ended up being more expensive than my other choices. I was turned off by some of the reviews regarding the music around and other small things. However, I did not realize how beautiful the property was though until I gave it a second glance!

At this point I've taken NOW Amber out of the race. I feel like I might get a better pampering experience at Premiere, but since it's smaller I can find less about it. Plus, we have the option to use the Buenaventura facilities. But, there are so many people who just love Dream, there's got to be something there worthwhile! The fiance and I definitely want to be somewhere with a pulse, activities, and other 25-35y.os we can meet. I'd like someone just to chose for me, I'm sure we'll have a fabulous time on either facility, I just can't pull the trigger. Skip the wedding, we just need to hop on a plane to MEXICO!

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

I'll be honest that it's going to be tough to "find a pulse" in June, which is really the start of the low season. Most anywhere you go will very likely not be anywhere near capacity, so you'll probably be doing much of the socializing off-site.

That said, if it's your honeymoon, ultimately pick what appeals most to you AND based on what you most want within your financial framework. Figure out what is most important in a place to stay and then go with that. For some people it's a great beach. For others, it's amazing food and amenities. For others it's closer access to town and things like nightlife and shopping.

What's most important to you? Because I can say based on personal experiences there as a day guest and based on information from my trusted friends and acquaintances who have stayed there (more than once), Dreams PV really is the full package. Great beach, great facilities, great staff, great food. You'll find it's close enough to town to partake of whatever you wish to see or do in the city, but just far enough out to enjoy both the amazing location (jungle, beach AND ocean all in one) and the tranquility that a honeymoon should offer.

Seattle
reviews: 14
9. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

What about the new Landmark? I have no personal experience but since you mention age of the property might be an issue for you. It's new and getting a bunch of buzz.

Calgary, Canada
10. Re: Honeymoon hotel... Villa Premier, Dreams, or Now Amber??

Landmark opened originally over a year ago, and closed during 2012 for a length of time due to various changes and staffing...recently re-opened again. I'd probably want to wait to see if they worked out the original kinks and issues that caused them to shut the doors in the first place before staying there, especially for a trip as important as a honeymoon. Just my opinion.

It's also not all inclusive, which the OP noted in post #1 is what they want for their budget.