We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
vaccinations

I am going to Puerto vallerto in April. I am healthy but do I need any vaccinations (compulsory)

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 170
11. Re: vaccinations

Not positive but I thought the Hep B was a vaccination all kids got in US...I know mine did , just not sure if it was a required thing or I chose it..anyway Hep A & B ( TwinRix) would be optimal to have no matter where you are...

Kanata, Canada
reviews: 14
12. Re: vaccinations

Coincidentally, I just had my yearly physical today in Ottawa Canada (such a joy for a 50+ year old male....)

During my physical, I mentioned I was Mexico bound in 1 week so my MD looked up on my charts and noted that when I went to PV back in 2008 I had received the HEP A shot and he recommended another as it was 5 years ago. Apparently there was a booster to the shot I was supposed to get as an interim that I neglected to follow up on - but the shot lasts for 5 years.

So immediately following the physical, I went next door to the pharmacy and purchased the "HAVRIX-A INJ 1440/ML Hepatitis A Virus Vaccine".

I have a decent health plan, but this was not covered under the drug plan card I have. Cost of the vaccine was $64.19 & the doctors office charged me $15.00 for the nurse to inject the vaccine. For Canadians with employer drug plans / health plans, If memory serves me correctly from 2008, I do believe that I can claim this later as an add on health expense, it was just not covered by the drug benefit card portion of my plan.

Also of note, he checked my Tetanus history as well as that was something that he wanted to be sure was covered. I was due and I got one of those in my other arm (free of charge thanks to OHIP).

WRT HEP B, and these are his words to me today, not mine, I work in telecommunications, not medicine, but since I went through this today, thought it worth sharing here;

HEP A is orally transmitted, if your cook / chef or waiter has it and does not practice good hygiene, you could contract HEP A via oral transferrence during dining.

HEP B , however, is tranmitted by bodily fluids.

Here's the "his words" "not mine part": he said if I wasn't planning on seeing a prostitute, having unprotected sex with someone other than my wife, or sharing intravenous needles, he wasn't worried about HEP B for me. So, LOL, family vacation with my wife, daughter, son and son's fiancee - pretty much a no brainer low risk there for me I think, but I thought it worth sharing in this discussion as professional medical advice given to me this afternoon.

Enjoy your trip to PV whenever it comes !

13. Re: vaccinations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 10, 2014