We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

vaccinations

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
vaccinations

I am going to Puerto vallerto in April. I am healthy but do I need any vaccinations (compulsory)

Calgary, Canada
1. Re: vaccinations

No compulsory. It's not a high risk zone for most things unless you plan on spending 99% of your trip in the deep jungle drinking from the rivers.

You could get Hep A and B shots, but again not compulsory and for most people it's optional. 27 trips to PV under my belt and I'm a blood donor, so far nothing worse than a handful of bug bites and occasional stomach issues (well, other than one slip & fall on wet tile in my room).

I would make sure your tetanus is up to date though, but that's not Mexico specific...just because I've tripped and fallen and cut myself, and I've also caught glass in my foot before. Open toe shoes = much higher possibilities of cutting yourself on something sharp or protruding. Sidewalks are better now but you still have to be careful, and tetanus is a precautionary one.

Edited: 3:41 pm, February 06, 2013
Prince George...
reviews: 26
2. Re: vaccinations

Been going for 6 years and never had any shots. I called my doctors office before our first trip and she said pretty much what pvjenny said its a resort town so not to worry unless you are going to spend lots of time in the jungle or in the middle of nowhere. Had my first stomach issue last trip in dec and yes have stubbed a few toes lol but other than that no worries.

SoCal
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 2
3. Re: vaccinations

We have never gotten any vaccinations to travel to Mexico, our doctor is well aware that we go a few times a year and would make us get them if necessary.

But thanks for the reminder Jen, we haven't had tetanus shots in a long time and probably should.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
4. Re: vaccinations

We never get any and that's 20 plus trips to mexico and my kids (10, 7 and 1) haven't gotten them either, but I am starting to consider it for them (twinrix, hep a and b). They certainly aren't mandatory.

Puerto Vallarta...
5. Re: vaccinations

Believe it or not that Hep A and B shot (Twinrix®) is even advised for travel anywhere included Canada and the US. The tetanus shot is just a good insurance shot to get.

Calgary, Canada
6. Re: vaccinations

Agreed. Hepatitis is just as common to contract in the rest of North America as it would be in Mexico. It's about hygiene, which means geographical location is irrelevant. (-;

And anyone who has ever had the misfortune to watch Kitchen Nightmares knows full well there is certainly no hygiene upgrade in the US or Canada vs Mexico! LOL

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
7. Re: vaccinations

We have had twinrix and tetanus shots for Mexico, but would get them if we went anywhere out of Canada

Gatineau, Canada
8. Re: vaccinations

Does your health insurance cover Twinrix? If so, this should not even be up for debate. It just makes good common sense.

Calgary, Canada
9. Re: vaccinations

Most health and benefits policies do not cover it as it's considered an optional vaccination only, not a required one. Common sense or no, it's an expensive option.

I have a fantastic benefits plan through my job and they do not cover it. If they did I would have had it already. If I had kids I'd probably vaccinate them before me anyways. As I noted, 27 trips in 14 years without issues and I'm tested regularly as a blood donor for everything, including Hepatitis. I've toured kitchens in a few PV restaurants and believe me their hygiene standards make many places in Canada or the US look paltry. They are a tourism based economy, making people sick would be counterproductive to their purposes, don't you think? (-;

Gatineau, Canada
10. Re: vaccinations

My benefits plan covers it under our health spending account. I guess I have a fantasticer plan.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta