We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 2
Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

This has happened twice to one friend, and again tonight to another. They were both new to the area when it happened. It seems that if the woman behind the counter thinks she can get away with it, she'll pocket some of your money. about 200 pesos over this time. There's also a closed topic on this.

If you are new to the area, get a receipt and check it before you leave the store. If my spanish was a bit better, I'd go have it out with this lady.

Has this hapened to anyone else?

58 replies to this topic
Seattle
reviews: 12
31. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Sorry but I don't get what's the big deal about using a different currency. Or why you need to speak Spanish. It's just numbers. Look at the price, watch them ring up your sale, try to have bills close to the total amount you are spending, count your change.

Maybe it doesn't hurt to be friendly too. I had a great experience at the one next to the Subway on the highway. The clerk's little girl was there my first visit and was wanting to help me shop. So I'd say to her "queso?" and she'd show me where the cheese was, etc. etc. we were both laughing. Maybe that's why I didn't get overcharged. Who knows?

Sure I do prefer to go to a local style corner store but those are getting fewer and far between in the main tourist area. Seems like less every year. I used to refuse to shop at OXXO, period, but that's simply not practical these days.

suze

Nokomis, Florida
reviews: 3
32. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I was short changed 50 pesos at the Guadalajara Pharmacy on Insurgentes yesterday by the young girl clerk. I always know in my head how much change I should get back by looking at the screen. I immediately told her the change was not right and she immediately gave me 50 pesos without having to ask me how much more she owed me. It does work to pay attention to the screen and make sure the clerk and you look at the bill you are giving to pay. Hope this helps.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 149
33. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

@lonestargumby...point taken...I guess it would be best to avoid those two stores as bzy1 has said...stinks but it it not the norm for this to occur at mom & pop or Oxxo's...appear to know the currency as well, that will help.. they do not know you cannot see...

@bzy1....way to go girl....love the name calling I can only imagine...but good for you...get em!

Pacific Latitiude...
reviews: 93
34. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I had the same thing happen at an OXXO on the south side of the main road into Nuevo. Young man. Gave him 500 pesos and he tried to claim I had given him 200. I raised my voice and insisted that he give me my money. Then the guy behind me also chimed in. He relented.

Always know what things cost and count your money. Make a point of announcing the 500 pesos note when you hand it to them. It also happened at a beach bar in Sayulita. And at a restaurant in old town. Just announce what you are paying even if no change is expected.

These crooks move around it seems.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 35
35. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I'm surprised an Oxxo worker would even accept a $500 peso note. I've had them look askance at $200 peso notes, they've even asked for smaller bills with a $100 -- but then, I'm not spending much. Now I try and use close to exact change at any Oxxo.

Pacific Latitiude...
reviews: 93
36. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Most retailers welcome big bills late in the day because it helps them get rid of the float that they have built up during the day. First thing in the morning, exact change is preferred.

Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 24
37. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I've never had a problem with using a 500 Peso note at an OXXO or Kiosko. They do a lot of business and usually always have change. I always break the biggest bill I have on hand wherever I am and never have problems, especially at restaurants. If my bill is $180 Pesos, instead of paying with a 200, I will give them a 500... it's just like using cash in the US or Canada. The only exception is small, slow businesses and shops. Less traffic, less cash. (Oh and taxis)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 70
38. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I'm like bzy1. I always try to break larger bills at the OXXO and it's no problem.... just gotta watch the change.

Kcowan- I'm going to "announce" my bill as I hand it to the OXXO worker next time just to make sure he/she hears it as I give it to them as well as others around me hear it too. No fun having the wrong amount of change given back to me and then having to re-hash it up by the till.

Side note: I noticed some of the workers bring their little children to these stores/markets. Last time att the OXXO on Basillo Badillo by Playa Los Arcos there was a little girl about the age of 9 that was on the other side of the till standing by the customer (me) and putting our things in a plastic bag and handing it to us. She was very cute but I noticed some marks on her face. Me, being in the nursing field- I asked her if she had chicken pox and she said, "YES!" YIKES! Those things are highly contagious until they are scabbed over and hers were "not scabbed over!!!!" Oh well.......... Guess things are done differently down there.

Edited: 1:16 pm, February 09, 2013
Indianapolis...
reviews: 35
39. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I wonder what someone who works at Oxxo makes per day. I have seen help wanted signs in Mexico, but never one with an hourly or daily wage on it. Anyone know?

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 149
40. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

I do not think what a person who works at Oxxo has anything to do with cheating someone of their money...There is no right in that, no matter how much they are paid or not paid...

Reply to: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted