We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Puerto Vallarta...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

This has happened twice to one friend, and again tonight to another. They were both new to the area when it happened. It seems that if the woman behind the counter thinks she can get away with it, she'll pocket some of your money. about 200 pesos over this time. There's also a closed topic on this.

If you are new to the area, get a receipt and check it before you leave the store. If my spanish was a bit better, I'd go have it out with this lady.

Has this hapened to anyone else?

Texas Gulf Coast...
Level Contributor
2,621 posts
89 reviews
1. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Dr L,

Welcome to TA! Sorry for your experiences with a local cashier at the OxxO that you frequent when in PVR.

Although I agree that improved Spanish language skills might be of some help, I would suggest that you strongly look into the local currency; especially the coins. It has been my experience that frequently Gringos (i.e. tourists from North of the Border; myself included as I could use a primer before every trip just to re-acquaint myself with the coins) are not at all familiar with the coinage, and that is where the majority of errors can occur. Ask for a receipt and count your change right there at the counter. I also might suggest carrying significantly smaller bills (100 & 200 peso notes) vs. larger MXN bills. These smaller bills would probably allow less room for error.

I hope you do not let this experience ruin your PV vacation. Please do not let the actions of this one person who earns a very meager living by our standards color your opinion of the entire populace or your entire vacation in PV.

!Se divirtieren!

Victoria, Canada
Level Contributor
5,275 posts
104 reviews
2. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

200 pesos is a lot of money for a simple transaction. I always check my reciept everywhere and count my change. With the Oxxos the computer will tell you the amount you should pay, the amount you paid, the amount of change you should recieve.

I have been ripped off in Disneyland (10 USD) and just two days ago at the airport in Punta Cana. Both times I was alert and able to get back the *lost* change.

Where is the closed topic on this?

Langley BC
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
1 review
3. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

we stopped shopping at this location because of the constant short changing. I walked back into the store with my receipt after my purchase, the cashier literally ran up to me and pulled 50p out of her pocket and handed it to me..BEFORE I showed her my receipt! This location is notorious for shortchanging. Also the 50p she handed me did not cover the total shorted amount.

Edited: 10:05 pm, February 05, 2013
Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
Level Contributor
25,901 posts
5 reviews
4. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Stick to the Mom&Pop corner stores - as honest as the day is long !

midwest
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
5. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Reminds me that 5 years ago I made a purchase from a young native who was vending on the beach. it was a small 200 peso purchase but he didn't have change for my 500 or was it 1000 peso bill. He said he would be right back with change and ran off. Didn't think he'd be back and probably needed it more than we. Kissed it goodbye.we.An hour later we returned near the same spot on the beach when There was a tug on my arm and there he was. Said he'd been looking for us.He got a great tip!!! We've. Never been cheated in 15 years that we have been coming here. Nothing but respect for the PVC people's----we treat them well.

midwest
Level Contributor
47 posts
1 review
6. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Reminds me that 5 years ago I made a purchase from a young native who was vending on the beach. it was a small 200 peso purchase but he didn't have change for my 500 or was it 1000 peso bill. He said he would be right back with change and ran off. Didn't think he'd be back and probably needed it more than we. Kissed it goodbye.we.An hour later we returned near the same spot on the beach when There was a tug on my arm and there he was. Said he'd been looking for us.He got a great tip!!! We've. Never been cheated in 15 years that we have been coming here. Nothing but respect for the PVC people's----we treat them well.

Los Gatos...
Level Contributor
769 posts
1 review
7. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

My condo is right next to this store, and I go in there often. I have never been ripped off here. I suggest that you look at the screen while s/he is scanning the items to make sure you are charged the correct amount. It also shows on the screen how much you gave and the change to come back.

Seattle
Level Contributor
742 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Just returning, I witness this no less than 3 times at the OXXO store across the street from the San Marino. I agree, count your money BEFORE you leave the counter.

Seattle
Level Contributor
34,368 posts
14 reviews
9. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

Just like anywhere, just watch the clerk ring things up (as above - look at the cash register screen it's computerized and easy to see) then count the change when it is handed to you. Also not trying to break really large bills helps eliminate the possibility of this happening. suze

Seattle
Level Contributor
34,368 posts
14 reviews
10. Re: Conchas Chinas oxxo worker will rip you off

ps- you don't need to speak Spanish, this is just about numbers.