We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Dr. Google is freaking me out. I have some sand flea bites that will not stop, despite the fact that I returned from PV a month ago. Has anyone heard of cutaneous leishmaniasis (a parasite carried by the female sand flea) in the PV area? if not, has anyone had bites that still itched weeks later?

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
11. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

No, I use a repellent, so don't get bit in the first place, I use the local Autan product.

pv
12. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

hi ..if they are very intense and last that long they could be 'chigger' or tiny ticks. you could go to one of the almost free clinics. if this is them.. they will last untill the eggs under the skin hatch.. the only thing i have heard of to kill them sooner is heat..a hair dryer on the skin but not long enough to burn yrself.. look it up online and read the descriptions of what the are and how they affect you before trying to sooth or medicate or whatever.

good luck.

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 53
13. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

The Gelmicin seems to heal his bites too which is why I like the antibiotic being part of it. People respond to things differently though. I have to say I have gotten some fabulous meds in PV that aren't FDA approved. Interestingly they are used many other places...like France.

I always feel though that I should mention the part about FDA approval since some tend to care about that a lot. We also like Andansol (sp) for reg. bug bites but those no-see-ums bites don't feel very regular lol. Pharmacist gave me anti-inflammatory drops for my ears once because the fluid just would not drain with decongestants before flying home. It shrunk those passages within 24 hours. I don't think I can get it here.

JR I'm confused by your statement. These 'drugs" are for treating the after effects. My husband doesn't get bit when he uses repellant, although funny how they will find one spot he missed....last time it was the side of one of his fingers. I hate repellant but it's a necessary evil. Some people say they get bit even when using repellant.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
14. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

I just stay away from medicinal drugs and it's served me well for 72 years. Think I took an aspirin 15 years ago. Of course if I get a bad infection, like dental, I'll take an antibiotic, but since I seldom take them, they really work fast, like the proverbial Magic Bullet.

Langley BC
reviews: 1
15. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

we use Autan (repellant) and if a biter gets thru that, we use Andantol to curb the itch. We have found both at the farmacias.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 152
16. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Just wanted to add more clarification in regards to the FDA issue, all 3 drugs that are in Gelmicin are available in US and approved by FDA but by prescription or at least 2 by prescription, it just is not available with all 3 ingredients in one...so do not be afraid to use it..:) just saying..

nyc
17. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Thanks to all of you for the tips. Strangely, just when I thought they would never start getting better, and just after I wrote the query, they actually started getting quite a bit better. The rash mostly gone, and the bites themselves mostly flat to my skin. So looks like I'll survive. But I'll be way more careful next time I'm there with the bug spray! I protected my daughter pretty well, but forgot about myself. never again!

thanks again to all.

Carin

michigan
reviews: 47
18. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Is the Autan better than OFF that we might bring from US? We usually bring some repellant with us.

Is it expensive?

19. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, February 12, 2014