We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
nyc
sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Dr. Google is freaking me out. I have some sand flea bites that will not stop, despite the fact that I returned from PV a month ago. Has anyone heard of cutaneous leishmaniasis (a parasite carried by the female sand flea) in the PV area? if not, has anyone had bites that still itched weeks later?

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 57
1. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Sorry you are still having trouble. :-(

Yes my husband has. The itch and angry looking bites can last a long time. My husband's lasted about 8 weeks and maybe more but some stopped itching earlier, and others really hung in there. He said he thought he was going to be scarred for life because they stayed red long after the itching stopped.

Now if he gets bit he uses Gelmicin ...a Mexican product, and it takes care of them pretty fast but to my knowledge you can't get it in the US. I don't know anything about the parasite.

Where are the bites and exactly how many weeks are you talking about?

Edited: 8:22 pm, February 05, 2013
SoCal
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 2
2. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Look up no-see-ums, that is most likely that is what got you.

They've gotten me a couple of times, the bites take quite a while to heal.

But I'm no doctor, so if you're truly concerned see yours.

Edited: 8:26 pm, February 05, 2013
Seattle
reviews: 12
3. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

It's been over a month. If I were in your shoes, I'd see a doctor. They should at least be changing towards healing up somewhat after 4 weeks, if they are just sand fleas or no-seeums.

Seattle
reviews: 59
4. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

And be sure not to scratch the bites, or you can get a nasty infection.

Try Tiger Balm for the itch. Ask you pharmacy, it is avaliable in the states.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 167
5. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Kansas, Gelmicin is great..it is hydrocortisone..so I am sure can get in states just under different name...

To the OP: I heard DR. Google was for the foolish, see your dr., if in doubt...a real one.. good luck..

Alberta
reviews: 20
6. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Thank you, I should look for Gelmicin when we're there. Last time they got me really good and i thought I was going crazy because of the itching. (mosquitoes love me too). I took Benadryl, but it knocked me right out, so I won't try that again.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
7. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Yeah the bugs love me too...Gelmicin, Locoid, or any hydro or cortisone product will help with the itch...also they say eating garlic and chili or hot salsa keeps bugs away...no clue if true...

You can also just pack a small tube of hydrocortizone cream or cortizone cream and bring with you rather than have to look for Gelmicin, though easily found most farmacias, walmart etc..

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 57
8. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

Gelmicin has Betamethasone which is a different steroid than Cortizone. it is stronger too and that's why it has worked better for my husband. Gelmicin is a combination of 3 ingredients....an antibiotic, the Betamethaone, and an anti-fungal....a crap shoot prescription when the doc isn't sure what your problem is lol. The anti-biotic is good though as it will prevent infection from the scratching.

You might be able to get it online somewhere but know that it is not sold in the US, thus not approved by the FDA. I read up on it when the pharmacist in PV suggested it, because of my husband's medical problems. It has caused him no problems but of course you have to use any steroid carefully. The pharmacist told him he could use it several times the first day and then cut it down to 2 or 3. That worked because it was so good he didn't need it all the time.

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
9. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

I don't take any of these 'drugs' and i don't have any of these problems.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
10. Re: sand flea bites that last a looooooonnnnnggg time

true Kansas but similar in the scope of things ie: steroid..it also has

Gentamycin the antibiotic and the anti fungal is Clotrimazol...point of it being to stop the itch, treat any fungal cause and hopefully stop or prevent overgrowth of infection...used widely here...sometimes no FDA is good LOL.

Some folks are afraid to use anything not approved by FDA so then a cortizone itch cream from states will help or Locoid from here etc.. Personally The Gelmicin is great but Locoid seems to stop my itch better, if from bugs, like mosquitos etc..

JR..guess the bugs do not like you how lucky..I would think they would not like me either with all I have taken, chemo included but seems the bugs like me more since chemo strange huh..

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta