We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Hi All, Hope someone will be able to help with my question... We are wanting to take our children (ages 5 and 10) to PV for spring break, and are having a tough time picking a resort.

We've been to the mayan 5 times and decided to try pv this time..Just started looking into it and don't know a lot about the area or resorts in the area...(Would like to know where the beaches are nicest for the kids)

I've found 2 packages that are very close in price, but am having a touch time deciding. The Friendly Vallarta and Riu Jalisco.

The Friendly Vallarta seems to get better reviews on here, but I'm a bit concerned that being a smaller resort there may be a lack of food and activity options? (Not even sure if they have a nightly show, which I know my kids would love)

The Riu lists itself as a 5* and is a bigger (and newer?) resort, which I'm assuming means more food options, activity options, more for the kids, ect However, the reviews don't seem that great...

Sooo I'm torn, do we go with the one with better reviews or the higher star one with more to offer?? Please Help!!!

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 11
11. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

No loungers around the water park area at CPC and kids club is more geared for your 5 yr old. IMO, the Melia would be a better choice in PV for both your kids with kids clubs for different ages and nicer accommodations; the Riu Jalisco would still be a better choice for all the above plus better food and more dining options.

Edmonton, AB
12. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

We have stayed at all the resorts your looking at. Having said that our kids are now 13 and 14. The Melia would be your best bet for the family. It has a great kids club (under 12, but really 8 and under) and they do hgave a club that caters to those older than 12. I don't know about your situation,but our older boy never fit in with the younger group. We just get to know the teens club leader and viola.... our 12 year old was taken care of ($$$). The other hotels have great things about them. (we are staying at the Friendly Vallarta March 17th to 31st). Food might not be as fancy but staff, location and service just cannot compete with a few hours at a kids club and we never went to bed hungry. We are planning zip lining and desert dune buggies to fill in the time that the kids might want to do something more also maybe a beach trip up teh North coast. It is great that I can go shopping or walk the beach and see a bit on my own without having to take a cab with everyone to make it worth the cost. Feel free tpo contact me if you want more info.

Winnipeg
13. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

We stayed at Riu Palace Pacifico this past December, and walked over to the Jalisco, it's really a 3 star, no where near the caliber of the palace that is listed as a 5 star. don't believe the ratings! With that said the Riu Palace was awesome, and totally catered to kids, when they saw us with our stroller comming into the restaurant at least 3 servers would run to get a high chair and one would hold my daughter's plate while we were at the buffet. Super kid friendly, looking forward to going back.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
14. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

For sure the Jalisco is not in the same class as the Palace, but it would be a higher category and more kid friendly than the Friendly.

Bemidji, Minnesota
15. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Hi there! I just returned from the Riu Vallarta after a 7 day stay. The Vallarta was wonderful!! No complaints at all about anything. My boyfriend and I walked the beach and checked out the other 2 Rui Hotels. As far as the pool area and beach/activity area there was absolutely no comparing the Vallarta to the other 2. At our resort there were two separate pools. The one for the children was great and had multiple slides. We were scratching our heads why anyone would choose either of the other 2 resorts. Every night we were there they had a different themed show (Vegas, Grease). Before the main show they had a show for the kids and the little ones were able to get up on stage with the entertainers. There were also games set up for the children. After the kids show there was a small 4 piece band in the center square where the adults and children danced to Mexican and American music. At 9 the regular show started and all was quiet at 11 pm. Hope this helps!!

16. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, February 10, 2014