We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Winnipeg
Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Hi All, Hope someone will be able to help with my question... We are wanting to take our children (ages 5 and 10) to PV for spring break, and are having a tough time picking a resort.

We've been to the mayan 5 times and decided to try pv this time..Just started looking into it and don't know a lot about the area or resorts in the area...(Would like to know where the beaches are nicest for the kids)

I've found 2 packages that are very close in price, but am having a touch time deciding. The Friendly Vallarta and Riu Jalisco.

The Friendly Vallarta seems to get better reviews on here, but I'm a bit concerned that being a smaller resort there may be a lack of food and activity options? (Not even sure if they have a nightly show, which I know my kids would love)

The Riu lists itself as a 5* and is a bigger (and newer?) resort, which I'm assuming means more food options, activity options, more for the kids, ect However, the reviews don't seem that great...

Sooo I'm torn, do we go with the one with better reviews or the higher star one with more to offer?? Please Help!!!

SoCal
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 2
1. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

The Riu properties are located up north in Nuevo Vallarta.

NV forum:

tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g154267-i323-Nuevo…

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
2. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Friendly Vallarta is just north of downtown Puerto Vallarta, the RIU, as Ted said, is not in Puerto Vallarta but a 45min drive north.

Winnipeg
3. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Alright, wasn't aware that the riu was out of Puerto Vallarta, Thanks for that info guys.

Doesn't really sway me one way or the other though... We have no problem taking a cab into town if we need to.

So, still undecided here...lol

Saskatoon, Sk.
reviews: 50
4. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Greetings from Saskatoon! We've stayed at the Friendly, as well as a Riu in a different location. Riu would be much better suited for kids, as there is an actual kids club, however the resort will be much bigger. Riu will have a better selection of buffet food also, which was lacking at the Friendly. If it were my wife and I going, we would stay there, but with kids the Riu would be a better choice, plus the entertainment was better. You can always go into Bucerias if you want to add a little Mexican flavour to the trip.

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 14
5. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

The Riu Jalisco is not a 5star but definitely a step up from Friendly... nicer accommodations, more dining options (buffet and ala carte) mire kid friendly and evening entertainment; during spring break time Friendly may have more college kids being less expensive and close to town.

Mountain View, CA
reviews: 7
6. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

yes Riu Jalisco is definitely not a 5 start. There is Riu Vallarta and also Riu Palace Pacifico which are a step up, Palace being top of the line Riu there.

B.C.Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Nayarit
reviews: 89
7. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

I vote for the Riu Jalisco. It has a GREAT kids club. Kids can make their own Blended drinks ... Good shows ,Like Vegas, Mexican Night..

Beach is much nicer in Nuevo (new) Vallarta. IMHO than in PVR area.

Ride from Airport North take about 20mins. in cab. Bus at Door to go to PVR ,cheap and fun to do. You get to see Lots that way.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
8. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

The Riu Jalisco would be better for kids I think, especially at that time of year. The beaches are great for little ones to boogie board and you can use the kids clubs. I would upgrade to the Riu Vallarta if it was me, if it's withing budget, then you can go to either, but if not, the Riu Jalisco is always a winner with families.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 25
9. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

The Riu Vallarta would be a better choice over the Riu Jalisco, it is newer.

If you stay at the Riu Vallarta you can use the facilities at the Riu Jalisco. Check with your travel agent, sometimes the prices are almost the same.

Winnipeg
10. Re: Riu Jalisco? Actual 5* or comparable to Friendly Vallarta?

Thanks for all the input! I thought I had decided on the riu, but then we found the crown paradise club...and the melia. Really trying to find the best fit for us.

Does anyone know if the cpc has loungers around the kids waterslide area? I've looked at pics, but can't see any?

Food is a big factor for us too, any recommendations on which is known to have the best food of those three?

Not sure if I should be posting this in the nuevo forum or not since the riu is there but the other 2 are in puerto from my understanding?

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta