We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where do I buy Microdyne?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Bothell, Washington
reviews: 1
Where do I buy Microdyne?

I'm going to PVR next week, actually we'll be in Bucerias. I just read that people should wash their fruit & veggies in microdyne. What is microdyne? I've been going to Mexico for years and never heard of this stuff. Can I get this in a local grocery store?

Thanks!

Donna

Trail, Bc
reviews: 13
1. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

You can buy it at all the grocery stores - big and small.

mexico
2. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

it is all over the place like soriana la mega sams walmart isste costco farmacias

but not really necessary as the local water is good enough to wash them as needed

even the lettuce

i take them right out of there plastic wrapping and start cutting without washing

these produce has come a long way

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 87
3. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

As above, it is available in EVERY grocery store in the area, so not to worry about availability.

However, I've been going there for 30 years and buy produce regularly and have actually never used Microdyne (and have never gotten sick) so if it makes you feel better to scrub your fruits and vegetables then, by all means, do it. Even with veggies in the US, I tend to wonder what they might have on them. It's not just a Mexico issue though.

Enjoy your trip. We even have Microdyne here in the SF Bay Area in the produce section, so you'll have no problem finding it there.

Bothell, Washington
reviews: 1
4. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

Thank you, thank you! Thank you! You know I've been going to Mexico for years and have never been sick. Knock on wood!! I don't think I want to start washing my veggies more than I need too.

I'm glad I found this site. I was shocked when I got 3 replies to my post within minutes.

Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 24
5. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

As said it is everywhere. I think even OXXO has it. I always use it for lettuce. I use white vinegar and water for berries- it sanitizes them and keeps them from molding. Most veggies I just wash with water and a mix of water, baking soda and white vinegar. Google it... works great!

Puerto Vallarta...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 5
6. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

Only use it these day for the pick-up truck strawberries.

Martinez, California
Destination Expert
for Sacramento, Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 87
7. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

Good reminder, JR. They always look so good, passing under my balcony.

Also, bluedog --- don't be shocked. This is a very active forum where you can get answers to just about any question you ask. Good things to do also are to put your subject (ie: Microdyne) into the search box, next to where it says Puerto Vallarta forums above as so many questions have been asked/answered before. It's good to get current info but you might find it fascinating to read discussions about the same subjects in the recent past.

The other thing you'd probably find intriguing is reading the Top Questions to the right of the forum -------------------------->> Tons of good information there also.

Enjoy your trip.

Edited: 11:47 pm, January 22, 2013
Bucerias, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Bucerias, Nuevo Vallarta, Guadalajara
reviews: 78
8. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

bzy1, what ratio of vinegar to water, roughly?

Seattle
reviews: 12
9. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

I've never used it myself but I can chime in with others that there are a couple common brands of vegetable soak/wash, usually in the produce on a shelf or rack, section pretty much everywhere.

suze

Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 24
10. Re: Where do I buy Microdyne?

Sue, it depends but I usually do a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water.

Here is a great article about cleaning fruits and veggies in Mexico.

…wordpress.com/2010/…

Some may disagree with some parts of it- but I also want to state that a lot fo our produce comes in from the US and Chile- and still clean it all. Mainly to remove pesticides.

But then I also WASH my BANANAS :)

(This was after I was at a banana plantation and saw a bunch of bananas laying in a pile of poop. :)