We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ypsilanti, Mi.
reviews: 4
Whale watching

Can anyone refer us to a company fro whalewatching? Week days only.

NL
reviews: 9
11. Re: Whale watching

Whalewatch operators must have must licences to do those tours and stick to the rules and respect the whales. At the same time the passengers know they will be transported in a safe way.

Last week Marine police checked many boats for this. Some quickly sailed away, others were fined. So certainly not all were certified!

So please stick to the officlal operators.

So Cal
reviews: 8
12. Re: Whale watching

"Last week marine police checked many boats for this"?

You know this how? Boats are inspected daily on the water for many different reasons, not just whale watching permits. So how do you know they were fined for no whale watching permit?

Boats receive a "ticket" for many different reasons, no fishing license, not reporting a trip when they leave the marina, too many people on a boat, not enough life jackets, non-working marine radios, and the list goes on and on. The boats the poster saw leaving the area could have been leaving for any number of reasons. The boating laws in PV are very strict and very closely enforced, that is why boating accidents are very rare.

This is how rumors get started people post their opinions, not facts. There are no "marine police" the governing agency is either the Navy or the Coast Guard.

I am not, nor have I ever said that there are not boats operating illegally but people who happen to observe something are not in a position to make statements when they have no first hand knowledge. To know if they were "fined" (they are issued a ticket on the water, no fine is paid) for no whale watching permit the person would have to have been present on the boat and hear the conversation, in Spanish, between the captain and the officer.

To know exactly why a boat left the area they would have had to have the captain tell them why.

No I don't think "someone" is picking on panga's. If I did I would have addressed you directly. I just think there is a lot of incorrect information posted here.

13. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 9:05 am, January 06, 2013
So Cal
reviews: 8
14. Re: Whale watching

Lecture? What lecture was directed at you? I never mentioned you. You never said boats were fined last week, you weren't even in town last week. You did however insinuate that I thought you were picking on panga's. "as someone above thinks".

I didn't lecture anyone, I said the poster could have no knowledge of what took place on boats they were not on or why boats left an area. I explained some of the numerous reasons boats can be stopped and inspected/ticketed.

You were the one that brought up the whale that was hit several years ago. You stated it was an unauthorized whale watching boat. I corrected that information.

It wasn't a lecture, just the correct information. It is grossly unfair to blame a boat for something there was no evidence that they did. The entire boating community was outraged over that whale being injured and everyone wanted whatever boat did it to be caught and punished. Unfortunately they were never able to prove what boat did it.

NL
reviews: 9
15. Re: Whale watching

This was reported last week by one of the certified guides and I think we all should be glad about that.

SEMARNAT and the Navy were checking and controlling whale watching permits. Many boats got fined and some other just fled the scene....

TIP of the day, make sure that the company that you are using has a whale watching permit.

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 79
16. Re: Whale watching

Check out www.OceanFriendly.com...

mexico
17. Re: Whale watching

the latest edition of BAY VALLARTA #226 has several pages on whales

may have to log in to download this edition

issuu.com/bayvallarta6/docs/bay226#download

in the past the whaling guides had a special flag flown as their permits

Edited: 10:46 am, January 06, 2013
Topeka, Kansas...
reviews: 7
18. Re: Whale watching

we did Ocean Friendly last month and were VERY happy. They only do 10 per boat max, and it is not uncomfortable at all.

And Oscar uses a nice life vest that is very small and comfortable, not the old standard orange foam junk.

19. Re: Whale watching

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, January 09, 2014