We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sickness @ Barcelo

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salmon Arm, Canada
Sickness @ Barcelo

After reading the latest reviews of the Barcelo I find it interesting to read the response from the GM. My family stayed at the Barcelo between Dec 8 & 14 and unfortuntaly also became sick. I honestly can not say why so many people were sick because on the front, it was a very nice hotel with good food and no pointers to suggest a problem. Even reading the reviews the others say the same thing. After reading the GMs comments, he is suggesting over indulgence of food and alcohol. I know in our family that was not the case. The hotel has a bit of a history for sickness during run off season. It's easy for guests to blame food and water but it seems easier for the GM to lie and say nothing was happening. Ther hotel even had a doctor makeing "house calls" to several guests on more than one day, so how can he say there was no problem?

Mike :)

Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 52
41. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

@ msprncs - what probiotics do you take? We will be there in 4 weeks. I always bring pepto etc. with me just in case... but like the idea of a deterrant!

Kim

Edmonton
reviews: 14
42. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

Has anyone noticed how many of these recent reviewers are first time posters? Even one that says "been to mexico many times", but never wrote a review or posted anything before. That just seems kind of concerning. That being said, some of them seem to be legitimate posters or reviewers. I just don't like how many of them in a row all seem to have no reviewing history. Seems odd????

Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 58
43. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

It's easy to question that and a lot of people on the forum say they don't trust first time reviewers. But on the other hand there are good reviews from first timers too.

Here's what I think....some of them have been members of TA before this....I saw 2007 and 2010, so they have been around awhile. I think others read but don't contribute or review....and with the numbers of people that use TA...there has to be tons of people out there that don't usually contribute, but when they are disappointed they find this as a way to tell somebody what happened to them.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the new TA members found out about TA from TA old timers while at the resort, and found out they could leave a review about being sick... sounds like there was a bit of talking going on about sickness.

One time when I was in PV a lady private messaged me because she knew I was staying in the same condo building. She said she wanted to meet me and that she enjoyed my posts. OK it gave me the creeps lol because she never contributed on the forum so I had no idea who she was. I was even a little shaken in the first couple minutes....and ran into the sliding glass door in my condo....spilling my lukewarm coffee on myself lol. But, I did meet her and she was very nice....and explained that the forum was intimidating to her, but she read it all the time....just didn't contribute. She knew who everybody was and their personality lol. So lots of folks out there reading.

Bottom line is I do believe that all the people who say they got sick, did get sick. I just don't think they have any other reason to say that. :-)

Edited: 11:21 pm, February 07, 2013
mn
44. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

We just got back from the Barcelo on Sunday. We switched hotels 3 days into our trip. My husband and I and 12 year twins got sick! . We had a waitress in the Capri restaurant pick the shredded cheese out of a bowl with her hands and put it in a serving bowl and serve it. We also, noticed a lot of the bartenders wiping sweat off of there faces and then handing you a drink by the rim of the glass. Lots of stuff like that going on. I would not stay here its not worth getting sick.

Edmonton
45. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

Some were raving great reviews, some were bad. I do get a little suspicious when a whole whack of one time reviewers post at one time, either way. When 19 out of 40 of the last few reviews are one post or review people, it's looks odd. It isn't typically 50% of them. Just sayin'.

Edited: 11:45 pm, February 07, 2013
mn
46. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

Maybe I should post my itinerary and post pictures of the staff doing gross stuff. You need to stay at the resort longer then one day to make a comment about the resort!

Edmonton
47. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

I absolutley agree which is why I said the raving reviews seem suspicious as well. I have always said I believe people have been sick, I have just never experienced this with many, many clients over all the years. Absolutely happy clients, which is why I still send people there. That's all I've ever stated. It is where I plan on taking my family next year based on first hand accounts of people I know and either return to the resort or to me for other travel and also the service we received.

Sorry you got sick, but many don't and I was just saying that it is odd that 50% of posters on hotel reviews are first time posters and aren't generally first time posters on other properties.

Brooks, Canada
48. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

We are going there on Sunday so we will see how it is. Reading the reviews has definitely been hard however i guess you have to take them worth a grain of salt.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that the flu has been going around all over the world. I had it about a month ago and it was the exact same symptoms; nauseous, dizzy, guts rumbling for about a week, etc...

They have been closing down entire floors at hospitals trying to prevent it from spreading. It's just a nasty bug this year. Mexico isn't exempt from that unfortunately and I can see it being a hot spot with everyone cooped into a plane with 100 people for 6 hours and then hanging around hundreds of other people at a resort coughing on things and not washing their hands.

I'm sure you can witness things like wiping sweat off your forehead and then serving, or touching food with their bare hands, but I have seen that kind of thing at every all inclusive resort I've been to. You don't think that happens in Canada or USA when they are in the back kitchen? If you don't talk to some people who have worked in kitchens haha.

Indianapolis...
reviews: 41
49. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

I don't know why anyone would go there based on the years worth of reviews that show sickness every year at this time. There are plenty of other hotels.

Canada
reviews: 7
50. Re: Sickness @ Barcelo

Yikes! that's not good but it is good to know I had no idea I have not been back to PV since 2008. I hope everyone who got sick is feeling better .