We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Salmon Arm, Canada
Back from the Barcelo, questions?

We spent 8 nights at the Barcelo ( 6-14 ).If anyone has any questions, fire away

Mike :)

Portland, Oregon
reviews: 96
1. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

YES! My friend is trying to get in touch w/the wedding coordinator there. She's been waiting for a contract to arrive in the mail (or- could be internet)... for a month now! Several times when she's called, she gets transferred and then... "click." We have also visited the Barcelo in November to look at this venue for the wedding which will be in 2014. Had a nice tour from one of the gentlemen on hand- but went on a weekend and the wedding coordinator was not there. Still, we got pamphlets of info given to us at that time. It's just been hard to connect with a phone call and "seal the deal" so to speak. A bit frustrating.......

Edited: 4:31 pm, December 16, 2012
Salmon Arm, Canada
2. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

While we were there we seen two different weddings take place. It all looked gorgeous. They were set up over looking the ocean and had a PA system for speachs. I spoke abit with some of the wedding guests afterwards and didn't get any negative feed back from them. The staff seemed to be very attenative to the weddings guests.

I am not sure what email address you have but here is the one that I used before we left, puertovallarta.res2@barcelo.com The name of our contact was Rosalba Garcia Cesar and it took about two days to hear from her. Give it a try and see. I hope things work out and everyone has a great time

calgary alberta
reviews: 3
3. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

We are considering staying at the Barcello for a week in May or June. A couple of things I have read may deter us... First the towel game. I really don't want to have to get up at 7:00 am to reserve a place by the pool. Secondly, the tiny beach especially at high tide. Is it as small as some people say it is? What was your experience with these issues? Thankyou

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 12
4. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

If you get up at 7am and reserve a chair by the pool your playing the towel game too... we noticed from our balcony most of the chairs reserved early a.m., had coffee, showered, went to breakfast and returned to our room to see the same chairs reserved, towels no people. We headed down to the pool and notified secuirty and they were happy to remove 4 towels for us, folded them along with their belongs and brought them to the front desk; when the people finally arrived at noon (after spending the morning in town) and asked where thier belongings were we told them security brought them to the front desk. There are signs in more than once place ' do not reserve chairs'. Alwo due to the mountains the sun doesnt hit the pool area until after 10/11am. The sandy part of the beach is very small, almost non existant at high tide; we used the beach more for kayaking and the pool for lounging or swimming.

Edited: 6:00 am, December 18, 2012
Shawnee, Kansas
reviews: 53
5. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Canuck - We stay in town on Los Muertos beach, but we love Mismaloya Beach. We go there on purpose at least 3 times per trip since it's so quaint and always interesting, once we get in our lounger we feel we are "home".

I would not call the beach tiny....but depends on your perspective and what you like. It is not a deep beach in front of the Hotel, but the beach gets deeper as you walk south. The beach is long enough for a nice walk especially if you include the walk to the point where the old Night of the Iguana set still remains.

Lots of people from the hotel come to the restaurant loungers to sit for the day, the people who wait on you are genuinely glad you're there and are great at making you comfortable. Anyway, I found this you tube video that I think is very representative of Mismaloya Beach and might help you decide if it's your cup of tea.

One thing....in the video he says it's a 10 - 15 min. ride to Mismaloya from town....it is more like 25 minutes. There is construction on that road now but the several times we headed south a couple weeks ago.....it was always less than a 5 minute wait for traffic to take turns on the two lanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MduosK2NfEc

Edited: 10:46 am, December 18, 2012
Salmon Arm, Canada
6. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

My family is the slowest people to get moving in the morning so we never were early to the pool. I am up by 5:30 so I would go down, grab a coffee and walk around. The "towel game" starts around 7ish but I can honestly say it didn't affect us at all. Six people and one baby always got 6 loungers at the pool edge even though we didn't arrive until about 11 oclock. It was busier near the swim up bar but just behind the gardens was the pool we usually used. They have servers walking around delivering drinks so who needs the swim up bar? There is a pool with the volleyball net set up and I only seen about 6 people ever there but approx. 20 empty loungers.

The beach is narrow and high tide is almost at the loungers but while we were there the tide had gone out by 10ish and you have approx 30ft of sand. If you snorkel, the bay is deep but there are man made reefs that have several different types of fish and the corral is starting to take hold. I found the cooliest shells yet. I have stayed in town in the past and this beach is 100% cleaner and clearer water but it is not a walkers beach.

As KansasPVgal states, the resort is a bit far out but in the 6 trips back and forth that I did, it was only 15 minutes each way but we only hit the construction stop once so it could be longer if they are pouring concrete shoulders.

The thing I liked about the resort was the ability to walk off the grounds and see the village. Town is ok if you like the hustle and bustle but the laid back life of Mismaloya is for me.

Calgary, Canada
7. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Unlikely the towel game would be an issue in May or June...shoulder season going into low season.

calgary alberta
reviews: 3
8. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Thankyou for the replies to my questions. It looks like the beach size and towel game will be non issues.

Minneapolis, MN
reviews: 47
9. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Hi Mike - Did you or anyone in your group use the excercise room at all? I know, a bit lame, but we still excercise daily on vacation.... so we can eat and drink as much as we want without gaining 10 pounds (we limit it to 5 pounds this way!). :)

Any feedback on the size of the facility and condition and variety of equipment is appreciated!

We are going in March.... so will have to deal with the towel game. My husband is an early riser and usually gets us chairs, but then I am in them by 9:00ish reading until the rest of our group joins us. Rest assured though, we never reserve on days we are planning offsite trips!

Kim

Branford...
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 12
10. Re: Back from the Barcelo, questions?

Kimf : the gym is a good size, has a water cooler, air conditioned and with plenty of room for stretching... has treadmills, bikes, elipticals, free weights and a universal weight training station; there are also men's and women's private showers (towels, soap and shampoo provided) steam rooms. Spa treatments are also available and are extra. The gym is also good if you have a late flight out and want to enjoy the day by the pool and take a shower and change before you leave.

Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta