We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chartering a Panga for fishing

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
prince albert
reviews: 4
Chartering a Panga for fishing

We are taking our first trip to PV over Christmas. I have usually pre-booked with fisherman over the internet but am starting to wonder if I over pay doing it this way. I prefer to have the boat to myself (besides the guide) and don't want to do deep-sea fishing, rather inshore using my own med weight spinning gear.

I have looked at several website which naturally all claim to be great boats and guides but thru past experience have learned that a good website doesn't always mean a good fishing experience, and I don't mean just catching fish. Most site want around $250-275 US for 4 hours which is not bad but if I can have the same trip for $150 that would be better, and could mean going out more than once.

Ont.Canada
reviews: 18
1. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Have never used these people yet? Was going to try them this January. recommended to me by friends who have used them & had good results.

i contacted them & this is the reply I got.

"We have a 28 ft panga licensed for 8 and a crew of two. We do fishing, sightseeing, whale watching, snorkeling, are a combo of any of these. It is a private charter for you and your party so you can set the trip up the way you want to. We have all equipment, ice and a cooler. You are free to bring your own drinks, snacks, lunch or we can furnish them for you at our cost. We also stop at a beach for lunch and some beach time if you want to do that. We charge $40/hr US or equivalent in pesos. That is per hour, not per person. We have cushioned seats and a full bow cushion, seating under the canopy is also available to get out of the sun. We are fully licensed and insured for all activities we provide in the bay. "

Fishing with Alberto, est. 1996

Redlands, California
reviews: 30
2. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Yes, we have used Fishing with Alberto. We had a great time! I would use him again.

So Cal
reviews: 8
3. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Sandman,

The going rate for a panga, single engine is $40/hr. two engines is $50.00/hr. if you book off of one of the vendors on the beach selling tickets you will NOT get that price. It is best to go directly with the owner or captain to be assured of the trip you expect.

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 26
4. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Our guy is Capt Louis of the Babalu. I could tell you how great he treats us, but I suggest you check out this link for his email, drop him a line, and see for yourself.

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g150793-i46-k510169…

Ive done it both ways, and you can likely save a few bucks by dealing directly with a Capt on the beach somewhere, but it then becomes a crapshoot. Make sure you only deal with the capt for costs... as soon as someone else is involved, the price goes up. (obviously)

Book in advance and you know exactky what to expect.

Surrey, Canada
reviews: 6
5. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Ian did that panga have a BANO?

Dallas, Texas
reviews: 1
6. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

I've never seen a panga with a bano. And Alberto is a great captain.

Ont.Canada
7. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Like i said in post "never used them yet"

but I think the guy I spoke with said yes there was a BANO under the wheelhouse? but better to check before booking.

Super Panga I normally use has a BANO runs out of the Marina $350 for 8hr fishing out by Moro.

Ont.Canada
8. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Captain I have been using is Capt. Hector on the "pcositas II "

hookedonmarlin.com

322-151-7007

322-173-3506

We don't go for marlin etc. we go looking for big rooster fish, lot's of meat & taste great, good fight also.

prince albert
reviews: 4
9. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Ian - that link wouldn't work for me. So is there a large marina where most captains keep their boats or are they spread out? $40/hr would be a good price and if I could secure a good captain at that price I think I could convince my wife I NEED to go out a couple times.

Ont.Canada
10. Re: Chartering a Panga for fishing

Cap. Hector has a small office by the OXXO in the Marina boardwalk. $350/day. call him on his cell#. not sure why link fails. search on TA for "hooked on marlin sportfishing" i only use him on Sundays when his wife comes with, she is great at spotting. Great day.

I see katnsocal posted on this thread, i understand they do very reasonable trips inside the bay???