We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What should I not bring into Mexico?

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 9
What should I not bring into Mexico?

So I am getting married in PV right away here (super excited) and I have packed in one of my suitcases, a bunch of stuff to pack into bags when I get there, as welcoming bags for my guests. Some of the items are crunchy/snack foods, otc meds (like pepto) etc.

I recently saw on another post from pvdeb say

" sent all my bags through the xray machine, then Customs guy (standing beside the button) looked at my huge and multiple bags and asked me what was in them. I said clothes and he sent me over to the tables to have everything opened. I'm sure they couldn't understand the quantity of clothes and jewelry (costume) and even kept pressing me for receipts. I think they thought I was going to be selling stuff."

Now I'm wondering if all this stuff I'm bringing is going to be a problem to get across. I literally have a suitcase full packed up ready to put in bags.

If I explain to them what it is, would they understand that I'm not selling these, that these are gifts? Should I not include the food items?

Please advise. Thanks!

Topeka, Kansas...
reviews: 7
1. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

food is fine as long as it's not fresh fruits, cheese, etc.

obviously contraband, prescription drugs not yours and in original bottles, etc.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
2. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

Congrats on the exciting event!! Have fun...

Why bring crunchy/snack foods along...they are easily purchased in the area...and are better than what you are bringing down...and it's Mexican...have fun trying all of the snacks...and don't forget the good packaged cookies!! (chocolate with chocolate filling!!)

And mix your things throught out other suitcases...including your clothes with your husband to be's things...that way no one suitcase will show up with all one thing...and if one suitcase is lost...you both have some clothes!!

Edmonton, Canada
3. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

Thanks.

I would purchase there, but we all arrive on the same date, so I don't want to have "Welcome bags" the next day. This way they are ready on arrival. =)

Is what happened to pvdeb an uncommon thing?

Calgary AB
reviews: 56
4. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

Bring sunscreen and lotions, it is generally more expensive in Mexico. Pepto and most other things can be had in PV, including very nice beach bags to pack everything.

I do not get where goodie bags at weddings came from. It used to be a piece of cake. Is it some kind of carry over from children birthday parties?

Lewiston, California
reviews: 63
5. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

Not cash as you should use your ATM card to get pesos at any bank. Using US cash will cost you about 30% more for everything.

Saskatoon, Canada
Destination Expert
for Riviera Maya
reviews: 25
6. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

I don't blame you for not wanting to spend time on your holiday running around buying stuff for the bags after you get there.

I would just learn how to explain in basic broken Spanish to the Customs agent that it is your wedding and they are gifts...even just learning those two words in Spanish should be enough to make them understand. :) I am sure they are used to seeing that!

Edited: 11:36 am, November 30, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
7. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

"I would just learn how to explain in basic broken Spanish to the Customs agent that it is your wedding and they are gifts...even just learning those two words in Spanish should be enough to make them understand. :) I am sure they are used to seeing that!"

This is a great thought. Thanks

Calgary, Canada
8. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

I would go with the recommendation to not have all items in one suitcase. Less likely to appear "suspicious".

PVDeb was traveling to PV for a longer holiday than you are going (she is a friend of mine), so she had several bags, and at least two full sized suitcases for one person. Our other friend who was going down for 2 months had a similar scenario but he had five bags total.

If you're not taking outlandish amounts of luggage and you spread things out it should be okay. In terms of wanting to have everything "at the ready" on arrival, you could ask your wedding planner or a local shopping concierge to assist as well, as most of the items you are putting in the bags are available locally.

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 5
9. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

I don't think you'll have any problems. Congratulations and have a great time at your wedding!

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 57
10. Re: What should I not bring into Mexico?

Strictly speaking, you can only bring the quantity of things for your personal use. The type items themselves sound fine, as another poster said, but I´d worry about quanity.

If I were you I would split the welcome bags amongst the travellers, i.e., your wedding party, your parents, friends.

Unfortunately, borders are a drag. Even going back and forth to the US is always a gamble.

I´d try to minimize the amount you personally try to carry but if you have to carry all those things yourself, take a copy of your wedding invitation, etc., list of guests, etc. Anything to back up your claim these are gifts for other tourists.

A lot of people will answer "you will have no problem" just because some Customs agents are lenient. But some are not. Legally, a husband cannot even transport his wife´s clothing.