We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sayulita Review

Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NJ
reviews: 25
Sayulita Review

Sayulita kind of grew on me. It's hard to describe this place. It's about 45 minutes out of town without traffic and just before town there's a great little fruit stand on the side of the road for coconut water and jack fruit which is delicious and hard to find.

I'd describe Sayulita as New Hope PA , but on the water. It's basically a cute little town with lots of little shops and it's filled with the free spirited hippie types both Mexican and American. It's definitely the first Mex beach I've been to where I was approached by an American beach vendor. It's a clean town for the most part where you can find yummy street snacks like Churros and find lots of fresh taco places. At sundown the smell of grilled onions and meat is quite tempting. The beach itself has a few inexpensive restaurants, but nothing special.. If you want to ride waves or learn to surf, this is the place as it's really a surfer town/beach. Lots of surfing lessons available along with boat trips from Sayulita. Just around sundown I really enjoy swimming...Just be careful not to get hit by a surfer riding a wave.....At first I wasn't crazy about this place, but then I returned one more time to enjoy the waves and walk around the town a little bit. Had a good cup of coffee as well. I do recommend checking this town out. The drive is simple as well. Just make sure you make a left at the Pemex and then a quick right or you will end up on a desolate beach.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Sayulita Review

Thanks for the report. I plan on going to Sayulita in January, haven't been there yet.

NJ
2. Re: Sayulita Review

One other tip...Be careful in the ocean there as there are large rocks in certain areas. I sort of smashed my toe on one. Everyone is really nice there. I don't recall the name of the street, but it's on one side of the zocalo or gazebo thing...There's a guy with a pickup truck with fresh baked breads and pastries around sundown. The croissant was very good and so was the vanilla pastry thing. Worth buying for sure. I find people in this part of Mexico overall very friendly and willing to answer questions. (pv area)

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 2
3. Re: Sayulita Review

Thanks! Looking forward to checking it out.

San Francisco...
reviews: 68
4. Re: Sayulita Review

Thanks for another great review. Very good information.

Toronto
reviews: 3
5. Re: Sayulita Review

Great review! My wife and I went for the first time 8 years ago and we now go at least twice a year. It has a great vibe, great restaurants and is a very relaxing place to visit.

Chapala, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Chapala, Puerto Vallarta, Nuevo Vallarta, Ajijic
reviews: 149
6. Re: Sayulita Review

Hey need4speed... I see you are liking this part of the ocean ....PV....yes?

Knew you would...the people are great in PV...in all of Jalisco..might I add...:)

Winnipeg, Canada
reviews: 41
7. Re: Sayulita Review

nice to hear your review, i myself have never been and is hoping to go this new years and check out this area finally....

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 57
8. Re: Sayulita Review

We own a property about 30 minutes on the road to Punta Mita. For us Sayulita is the big city. Lovely square, pretty shops. Nice upscael, even magical, lighting.

I wouldn´t want to live there because, for as as Canadians, it´s too much California of the sixties, too many residents angry at the Viet Nam war still. Surfing dudes. Great stores and restaurants. though. Visit there, you´ll like it.

Edited: 9:06 pm, November 22, 2012
NJ
9. Re: Sayulita Review

Carey, you could not pay me to live there. Great place for a visit, but I'm not the free spirited, long haired hippie type by any stretch of the imagination. I'd never fit in there anyway. There are so many places to see in the Jalisco, Nayarit area.

Bezerk..Yes I've grown to love PV. I do miss Aca and if Aca still had a decent tourist crowd, I'd probably still like it better. The clubs, views and nostalgia of Aca still warms my heart a bit more, but PV is better in so many ways. I hope they don't mess this place up.

Edited: 9:54 pm, November 22, 2012
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 160
10. Re: Sayulita Review

Libby that is too funny...and I agree with your graphic description. Of course I love it there - bohemian and all :) it is just plain fun. I had a nice chat with some Rastas there a month and bit ago. Small world - as one came from a town in Jamaica that I know well from my many visits there.

Edited: 10:30 pm, November 22, 2012