We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

taxi vs. car rental

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
phoenix,az
reviews: 1
taxi vs. car rental

We are going on our first trip to Puerto Vallarta next month. We are a family of four-two adults and two pre-teens. I can't seem to figure out if the taxi rates I've found are for everyone in the taxi, or if they are per person. Would the taxi take four people or would we need two taxis? If the charge is per person, or if we would need more than one taxi, it seem a car rental would be less expensive. I found an economy car rental rate of appx. $100 for the week, not including insurance. Do you buy the mexican insurance from the car rental company? I'm mostly looking for advise on the taxi rates being per person or for all in the cab. However, I'd like responses from those who've rented before too. We're staying between Nuevo Vallarta and Bucerias so we're a little away from the easy bus/taxi area. Thanks.

Puerto Vallarta
1. Re: taxi vs. car rental

Since you have decided to stay on the north shore area we strongly reccomend to rent a car it will be less expensive. In Bucerias look for Amigo or Gecko car rentals, the do have the best rates on the bay area!

San Diego, CA
2. Re: taxi vs. car rental

The cab rates should be for everyone. Always ask the driver in advance what the cost will be for the trip. We also like to take a bus whenever possible. It's cheap and usually a lot of fun.

Spokane, Washington
reviews: 15
3. Re: taxi vs. car rental

Myself (having gone to Mexico several times) would never rent a car down there. The driving is absolutely crazy!! Its not illegal to drive drunk, so I've been told & believe. It is crazy just riding in a cab!! Just depends on what you want to do though. The bus is cheap & usually very entertaining, meaning like there might be chickens running around on it, or a mexican woman singing & playing guitar up & down the aisle, etc, etc. We usually take a cab if we are in a hurry. Good luck!!

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 58
4. Re: taxi vs. car rental

We have our own car in Mexico but we used to rent. The best way to get Insurance is if you have a Gold Credit Card of some type (American Express, Visa) that way your Credit Card pays the insurance and it's a lot cheaper. $100/week seems a bit low to me; unfortunately, car rental rates are a lot higher in Mexico than in the States. Taxis and buses are much cheaper than in the States. I think it depends on what you want to do. Do you like exploring the countryside or do you mostly want to spend time at your Resort or in Puerto Vallarta. If you like exploring, then rent, but if not, the taxis and buses are much cheaper. For example, to go all the way from Puerto Vallarta to Punta Mita (about 35 miles) costs less than $2 per person on the bus. For you to go to downtown Vallarta would be probably about $1/person.

5. Re: taxi vs. car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 pm, August 13, 2006
Puerto Vallarta
Destination Expert
for Puerto Vallarta
reviews: 27
6. Re: taxi vs. car rental

Most credit cards ONLY cover the CDW (collision damage waiver) not Mexican Liability Insurance which is extra and must be bought through the rental car company. As well, to get the CDW coverage, you must rent the car on the credit card that covers it. Be sure to call your CC company to see if they cover CDW inusrance.

Liability inusrance is usually another $10 US per day.

Your best rates are usually booked online. Much cheaper than renting when you get here. Often times I have clients that want to rent a car, we go to my office and do it all online and then go get the car the next day. Saves about $100 US per week (I call and get a price, then go online)

Also, remember driving here is different. All signs are in Spanish. It is Napoleanic Law which means, guilty until you prove yourself innocent. Any accident with injuries requires both drivers to go to jail.

Here is a recent accident thread:

…ezboard.com/…

about an accident in the Sam's parking lot.

Make sure your insurance comes with an attorney.

Not trying to scare you, but these are just some of the differences in driving in Mexico.

BTW: it is illegal to drive drunk, or with the driver having an open bottle. Doesn't mean people always get arrested but yes, driving drunk is a serious offense, especially of you are not from here. Rental cars stick out and transito likes to keep an eye on them.

7. Re: taxi vs. car rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:24 pm, August 13, 2006
Get answers to your questions about Puerto Vallarta