We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

English->Spanish Guidebook

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Puerto Vallarta hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mississauga
reviews: 3
English->Spanish Guidebook

Can anyone recommend a good English-Spanish guidebook (assuming that it would be beneficial for me to learn some basic Spanish). Any thoughts?

TIA

Rick

Vancouver, WA
1. Re: English->Spanish Guidebook

Yes, very beneficial to learn basic spanish. We used Berlitz - made it so we could communicate at least somewhat with the maids and service people at our hotel and in the non-tourist restaurants. We don't know much, but even a few basic words are appreciated.

There's also some free basic spanish lessons you can do online.

Puerto Vallarta...
reviews: 58
2. Re: English->Spanish Guidebook

Go a bookstore like Chapters/Indigo and try to get something in Latin American or Mexican Spanish if you can. There are some little ones like Lonely Planet which are good. Some of the words are quite a bit different than in Spain.

Toronto, Canada
reviews: 8
3. Re: English->Spanish Guidebook

I would recommend "Spanish at a Glance" fourth Edition by Barron's - phrase book & dictionary for travellers. It is a small pocket book (different colours including orange, black and white on the front cover and a map of Spain on the back cover. It has practically everything. Phrases for every occasion and it is also a dictionary for travellers. You will find almost every phrase that you will need for your trip in it. If you just need a dictionary, you can pick up one by Collins. I use the Spanish at a Glance when I am travelling.

Indigo's at Eaton Centre carries them for $9.95 Canadian. If there is an Indigo in Mississauga, you can check with them. Check it out and see if this will be useful to you.

I myself will arriving at RD on October 23 - in the early hours of the morning. Not from the younger crowd though. Have a great trip.