We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hurricane Amanda (Is Sending Her Regards)

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
Hurricane Amanda (Is Sending Her Regards)

The Pacific is experiencing the first hurricane of the season, and it will be affecting the weather in Maz for a few days. However those of you already in, or headed to Maz, need not be concerned at all. In fact local winds will be relatively mild, and there will be no rain.

Hurricane Amanda (remember the weather service names storms alphabetically) is currently about 500 miles (800 kilometers) south of Cabo, and headed toward the North - Northwest direction. Wind peaked yesterday at 135 mph (217 kph) and are now reading 95 mph (152 kph) The current heading is the most common direction for tropical storms and hurricanes, so as normal it will pass Maz far to the west.

Through the rest of the week into the weekend look for a significant amount of clouds spinning off Amanda, with periods of heavy overcast. This started late last evening and will likely be most noticeable tomorrow. Things will taper off very slowly after that, and of course we're talking The Blanket here. So it will be humid as moisture spins off the storm. The saving grace will be a steady breeze in the afternoon.

I doubt the cloudy days will last past Sunday, but Monday could still be affected. Once the storm's influence does pass, next week looks to be extraordinary clear...much like mid winter without a cloud in the sky. Daytime highs along the beach will be a good 85 (29.5 C.) with The Blanket keeping things very warm at night too...no more than a ten degree drop I'd say (24 C.)

We're unlikely to have any periods of complete calm, and will see the classic pattern of winds off the land at night, turning onshore during the day. The ocean is a very warm 83 degrees with patches at 84 (28 C.) The warm water lane into the nutrient rich feeding grounds near Maz? It's wider than some European countries, so watch out for a big one trying to jump in your boat....LOL

Have a great time and stay cool. Look at this way, much of Canada is looking for a lot of rain showers and some chilly periods. Much of the Midwestern U.S. is expecting a week of off and on lightening storms, and it's only 49 degrees (9.5 C.) in Boston as I type this. I think I'll "settle" for Maz and the overcast....;^)

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
1. Re: Hurricane Amanda (Is Sending Her Regards)

I have a typo to correct, and while we're add a few more items should be added. The top speed of Amanda was 155 (250 kph), not 135. In addition they've officially declared Amanda as the strongest storm on record for May in the Eastern Pacific Basin.

This may be an ominous sign for the upcoming storm season. In addition we've been talking for at least a year about my feeling we're going back into a El Nino phase. The current water temperature readings (not to mention the ocean was warmer than normal virtually all winter) supports that theory.

If things continue along this trend, you can expect next winter to be quite warm for Maz. I'm sorry to tell you that would also likely mean last winter's bitter weather in much of Canada and the US last winter could be largely repeated. In addition while El Nino generally means wetter than warmer weather, Maz is the exception and tends to be relatively dry and clear.

2. Re: Hurricane Amanda (Is Sending Her Regards)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:15 am, May 30, 2015