We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 3
Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

we yearly go to Mexico usually Merida and the Yucatan we are considering travelling to Mazatlan with 4 children ages 8, 10,16,14 as usual there is the gasps of fear when you tell people you are travelling to Mexico

is there any safety concerns with travelling to mazatlan with kids and which is better Puerto Vallerta or MAzatlan?

17 replies to this topic
Mazatlan, Mexico
11. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We are here now, how often do they do this?

Wisconsin
reviews: 7
12. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

vineyardmcm.org/locations/…

Go to above link...should have all information. I recall they use to do it twice a week. Not sure during late spring/summer.....but believe they still do this periodically.

Saginaw, Minnesota
reviews: 35
13. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We too have brought our children and now our bringing our grandchildren to Mazatlan along with many of our friends and their children. Never once have we been concerned for their safety. With the beaches, ocean and pool you really don't need much else although we do throw in an occasional shopping/site seeing trip for the day. Usually by the time we finish eating dinner and our nightly stop at Mary's for ice cream the kids can hardly keep their eyes open. There are a plethora of activities in and around Mazatlan that are family orientated and every year we have plans to participate in many of them only to fail pulling ourselves away from the pool/beach. Let's not forget the people of Mazatlan, in my opinion are the friendliest people I have ever met anywhere. Whether it is at your hotel, restaurant waiter, pulmonia driver, beach vendor, taxi driver, and this year even a timeshare sales person you can meet someone that will leave a lifetime impression on you. If you chose Mazatlan you will not be disappointed.

Edmonton
reviews: 14
14. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

I'm also from Edmonton and have been bringing all my kids to Mexico a couple times a year since they were each 5 months old ( I have 4) and the oldest is 11. We travel to all parts of Mexico, take the local bus, eat at local restaurants ,go out of the city to smaller towns,etc. I have no problem and they have no problem.

Please go and enjoy:)

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 112
15. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We have taken our two girls ages 8 and 12 to Mazatlan 3 times. This Christmas will be our 4th trip. You have nothing to worry about. Our girls love Mazatlan more than Cabo and Cancun.

Austin, Texas
reviews: 9
16. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We go to Maz every year with our two kids now age 9 and 'almost 13' they absolutely love it and are able to do more and more as they get older. If you re traveling in the winter, check to make sure your condo or hotel pool is heated - kids want to swim and pools get cold since the temps drop at night. Some of the activities our kids enjoyed over the years are the zipline tours, whale watching/swimming with dolphins, deer island tour, parasailing and renting four wheelers (not all at the same time lol) both our kids love Mexican food, so eating out and finding new restaurants is an activity in itself - there are lots of great suggestions on this forum - but I will add don't be afraid of food trucks and taco stands - both my kids have been eating all sorts of food since they were young toddlers and never had issues - some of the most yummy, flavorful finds.

I cannot imagine any kid/teen not having a blast in Maz - everything is about 50% cheaper then places like Hawaii from activities to eating out so you can have twice as much fun!

San Diego...
17. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

lkk, I just had to comment on your post. I have posted before about kids in Mexico and want to reinforce everything you said. My two boys are now pushing 40 but they have been coming to Mexico, including Mazatlan, since they were little. The reason I love your post is that it talks about letting the kids get out and experience the local scene and not just stay at a hotel pool.

Kids (most) love discovering new places. Mine loved the restaurants we went to and talked about some of them for years after. They ate off the carts, hot dogs and tacos, and we ate at nice restaurants like Casa Loma back in the day. They of course loved El Shrimp Bucket and later Senor Frog's. We ventured out to the outlying towns and rented a sail boat, etc. They used to call the pulmonias "putt putts".

They both got their Mexican "street cred" in Rosarita Beach and Ensenada bargaining with the shop keepers for fireworks. I would give them a set amount of money and they got the best deal. They did better than I could, but as I've mentioned before, Mexicans love kids.

As silly as this may sound to some, I honestly think my kids became better adults because of their experiences in Mexico and the lessons they learned about a different culture.

Kimo

Edited: 5:15 am, August 19, 2014
Reply to: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted