We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 3
Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

we yearly go to Mexico usually Merida and the Yucatan we are considering travelling to Mazatlan with 4 children ages 8, 10,16,14 as usual there is the gasps of fear when you tell people you are travelling to Mexico

is there any safety concerns with travelling to mazatlan with kids and which is better Puerto Vallerta or MAzatlan?

17 replies to this topic
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 9
1. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

No, there are no concerns. There have been a few posts about this very subject. If you enter "Traveling with kids" in the search box, you should see them. We in Mazatlan of course feel Mazatlan is far better than PV. It is cheaper and there is much to do.Water parks, aquarium, side tours, and miles upon miles of beaches. I wish you enjoyment. Traveling with teenagers is rarely fun. They can be bored at everything!!

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 3
2. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

Can u tell me the average weather in jan?

California
3. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

Here's a link to a page from the excellent web site Mazatlan Life about safety in Maz. It's an amalgamation of various videos and comments that should give you a lot of insight.

mazatlanlife.com/is-mazatlan-safe-to-visit/

Personally I've traveled all over Mexico, the Caribbean, and Pacific Islands surfing, and never felt unsafe in Maz. In addition we've brought nieces in the age group of your oldest, and they love the place. There is much more to do in Maz for teenagers as opposed to the Yucatan.

We have several people from your Edmonton that are regulars to Maz...such as SunSeeker who also brings her teenagers along. Hopefully she can chime in and relate her experiences that should run quite parallel to yours.

As far as Puerto Vallarta that's a very nice place too but noticeably more expensive, and the beaches aren't nearly as nice as Mazatlan. The other major difference would be Maz is singularly unique, being both a true Colonial Mexican city and also a major Pacific beach resort.

The videos will give you an idea of the history and culture you can experience in El Centro, the original part of Mazatlan that has been a viable port city for hundreds of years. As far as January, that's possibly the nicest month of dead winter in terms of weather. Especially since it can be a little breezy at times in February.

The average temperature in the day will be about 27 degrees (80 F.), with the night dropping to about 17 (63 F.) Unlike Merida and the Yucatan it very rarely rains in the Maz winter, and the humidity is also low so you're hardly ever left feeling sticky. In fact January is very clear, and only occasionally has an overcast day since the tropics are very quiet and rain from the North Pacific doesn't travel that far south.

Here's a link for a weather report I wrote last January 15th that's would be quite typical for that month.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g150792-i257-k7117…

You should at least try Maz once, as it's nickname is the Pacific Pearl for a very good reason. The feeling and sights of Old Town (El Centro) are irreplaceable and something your kids will remember long after they experience it. Hopefully you and yours will have a great time wherever you end up!

Edited: 4:57 pm, May 22, 2014
San Diego...
4. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

Well done AguaMaz. I second all that.

Edmonton, Canada
5. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

My wife and I having been spending 4 months in Mazatlan for the last few winters and this year it will be 5 months. We are in our 60's and live in Centro histrico. We have never felt unsafe at any time, day or night. We intend to bring our 10 year old granddaughter to Mazatlan since she has been taking Spanish in school for the last 6 years. Believe me it is safe.

6. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 2:34 pm, March 28, 2015

Seattle, Washington
reviews: 1
7. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We take our young children to Mazatlan every year and we all have so much fun. We take them all over the city with no trouble. We love spending the day at the pool and eating at many wonderful restaurants all over the city for dinner - our kids especially love restaurants on the beach...Panchos, Playa Bruja, Chilli's Pepper, etc.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 31
8. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

Mazatlan is a safe or safer then most metropolitan cities of like size, worldwide. Your kids will love Mazatlan because they will not only have much to do, and as a result your vacation will be even better. Since 1985 all my kids and grand kids have made at least one and some--multiple trips to Mazatlan.

Its been my experience that the vast majority of people that have expressed fear of Mexico because of "unsafe conditions," have never been in Mexico.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 1
9. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

We are currently here in Maz for 2 1/2 months with our four children ages 13, 11, 10 & 8. We are renting a home in the centro historico area. We have found in general that it is fairly calm here, once you get over seeing a regular flow of armed police vehicles. This probably is the reason for the feeling of safety. We let our oldest 2 walk over to the beach no problem. They only "shady" encounter was with some "expat" (not a local) while we were walking home late one evening.

Wisconsin
reviews: 12
10. Re: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan

If/When you go, do your family a favor and look up LaVina church. Contact them and take the kiddies on their 'dump tour'. Might give the kids a little different perspective.....

Reply to: Travelling with kids to Mazatlan
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted