We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

For years everyone in Maz has been anticipating Costo would come...and that time is now. Per M Magazine (which is very good) there's a new mall coming in November, that will include the 34th Costo in Mexico. The mall is called Plaza Sendero and will be adjacent to Highway 15. It will have a total of 198 stores, and for our movie lovers will include 10 theaters.

In the meantime for the Marina Galarias that opened only last year, a huge new Sears store opened April 29th, and a second Sam's Club location is under construction next door. That's not all as the article talks about the new baseball stadium and more development in the Marina / Convention area including 1,500 new hotel rooms.

Here's a link with the rest of the details.

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/…862-growth-spurt

Edited: 10:08 am, May 18, 2014
35 replies to this topic
Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 3
31. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Most people are only interested in getting the best selection of goods they are used to NOB at the lowest possible price. How about supporting the local merchants in some of your shopping trips.

Shoreline...
reviews: 16
32. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

"How about supporting the local merchants in some of your shopping trips."

I really don't think that applies to the vast majority of those that post here, do you?

I know there are some that have issue with places like Mary's and Social Cafe, and would like to ask how long a space needs to sit empty and unused before it's acceptable for someone from the U.S.A. or Canada to rent it and open a business? Should it fall into disrepair, or should someone pump some $$$ into the economy, hire local workers, serve the local (and tourist) community and pay taxes? As a citizen of the U.S.A., I welcome families from other countries opening businesses in my local area. It gives us diversity and understanding. It opens our little minds to other ways of life. And, as for the small ethnic restaurants, it makes my tummy happy.

California
33. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Most people are not aware that the owner of Mary's Restaurant married a native Mazatleco and moved to Maz long, long ago. Her then husband was doing his internship in the U.S., and Mary has lived in Mazatlan continuously since he returned home to open his practice after the internship was over.

In fact she didn't open the restaurant until after being a stay at home mom for some years, and only goes back NOB to visit family (in Minnesota) for a week or two during the summer. While people may have mixed emotions about Americans or Canadians opening a business in Mazatlan, Mary's Restaurant would be the exception to the rule and doesn't really fit in that category.

Edited: 6:12 pm, May 27, 2014
Shoreline...
reviews: 16
34. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

AguaMaz - Just saying that I've seen others complain previously (actually, not in a few years - things may be getting better!) about businesses owned by foreigners, and they've included (rightly or not) Mary's. I just don't understand the xenophobic attitude, no matter which country it's coming from.

California
35. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

We're in agreement that NOB business people somehow pushing out locals doesn't fit the reality. Actually in some cases it's been the other way around....like Social Cafe. Over the last few lean years some locals have feared to tread, whereas a few NOB entrepreneurs saw an opening and decided to establish a position for the recovery.

Seeing their success encouraged some locals to step into the fray, and all benefited. Visitors to Maz looking for something new have more options, as well as those seeking jobs finding more positions. Interestingly enough I've never heard any of my Maz friends express the idea they should only patronize their own. They take the attitude that a good restaurant or business is a GOOD restaurant or business, so why not take advantage of that fact?

Edited: 6:43 pm, May 27, 2014
Reply to: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted