We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

For years everyone in Maz has been anticipating Costo would come...and that time is now. Per M Magazine (which is very good) there's a new mall coming in November, that will include the 34th Costo in Mexico. The mall is called Plaza Sendero and will be adjacent to Highway 15. It will have a total of 198 stores, and for our movie lovers will include 10 theaters.

In the meantime for the Marina Galarias that opened only last year, a huge new Sears store opened April 29th, and a second Sam's Club location is under construction next door. That's not all as the article talks about the new baseball stadium and more development in the Marina / Convention area including 1,500 new hotel rooms.

Here's a link with the rest of the details.

maz-amor.com/lifestyle-55/…862-growth-spurt

Edited: 10:08 am, May 18, 2014
San Diego...
Level Contributor
408 posts
1. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

I presume you mean Costco. :)

Toronto, Canada
Destination Expert
for Family Travel, Honeymoons and Romance
Level Contributor
16,946 posts
25 reviews
2. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Very interesting article!

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
39 posts
3. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

is Costo the cheap version of Costco? lol just kidding

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
4. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

Not cheaper....the version where prices are in Spanish.....LOL

Edited: 4:47 pm, May 18, 2014
Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
5. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

The latest buzz I am hearing through the real estate world is that Costco is not coming, The city wanted them to come and tried to entice them with Plaza Sendero, but they still do not think it is a good market yet and they do not want to pay the lease cost for the land. I am also hearing that there is no 2nd location of Sam's, they are actually moving to the marina area and will be closing the original location. Reason being, they only lease the location by Sharp and actually own the land at the marina. Who knows. Only time will tell.

Edited: 7:58 pm, May 18, 2014
California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
6. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

That's really bad news on Costco, and I can't imagine how they would not view Maz as a good market. They already have 32 stores in Mexico, with several of them in areas for which the population is similar or less than Maz. For example Cancun, Celeya, Vera Cruz, and Ensenada.

Then we have the fact Maz has a significant -- and growing -- number of expats from NOB living there most of the year or full time. This is so odd Costco would not see the potential, when they already have store locations in municipalities that would seem to have less.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Level Contributor
839 posts
1 review
7. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

I agree with you! This town is booming right now and personally, I wuld LOVE for a Costco to come in :)

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
8. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

On the subject of booming, here's a link to a story in Mazatlan Messenger that Maz had a 200% increase in tourism for 2013 !! The surprising part of the story is they expect an influx of new visitors in 2015 from Colombia, Europe, and China of all places.

The Colombians are a natural fit, and Europeans have long been a significant visitor force in places like Cancun. That they would want to change location to see a colonial Mexican city and have options for culture at the same time they enjoy warm beaches, is easy to understand. You can't get any of that in Cancun.

Oddly enough the Chinese are fascinated with Cooper Canyon, and Maz is the perfect jumping off point to combine a beach vacation in the package. Assuming NOB visitors at least hold their numbers (and you get their number will be increasing), these new visitors heretofore not coming to Maz will put even more pressure on building more rooms quickly.

Of course all of this is separate from the cruise ships dramatically increasing their presence over next winter and spring. Things are really looking up for Maz, and the state of Sinoloa's investment in promoting Maz is really paying off.

mazmessenger.com/2014/…

Edited: 6:11 am, May 19, 2014
Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
677 posts
28 reviews
9. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

My understanding is that Costco in Mexico is owned and operated by Comercial Mexicana who also own and operate Mega.

As much as I would like to see a Costco in Mazatlan I think we are likely to see a new Mega in Mazatlan before we see a Costco. If they are building or planning to build a Costco at Plaza Sendero, terrific. I would love to see something other than Walmart in the northern area. I have always preferred Mega over Walmart.

Edited: 11:48 am, May 19, 2014
Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,756 posts
10. Re: So You Were Waiting For Costo To Hit Maz ?

The new Plaza Sendero is supposed to include another Soriana Plus.

mazmessenger.com/2014/…

The March 15th announcement regarding Costco.

mazmessenger.com/2014/…