We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It had to happen.....

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
It had to happen.....

It had to happen in a town of 500,000 with SOME desperados roaming about, and then you mix in a boat load of tourists. I was out of town for the Dec. 11th. cruise ship, but as soon as I got home I heard that a passenger was robbed. I am still short a few details, but one of my 'Blue Shirt' volunteers actually spoke with the guy. He was walking along with an expensive camera, looking like a tourist, with an open necked shirt and a big GOLD CHAIN around his neck! Not too surprisingly, a couple low life's saw and easy mark (They were cruising around on a small motor cycle) and one jumped off and grabbed his gold chain. (Why do people beg to be robbed like this?) Then the dufass jumped back on the cycle and they affected their 'escape'. Just not for long. One thing I don't know is HOW the police got on this so quickly, but the crime lords made it about 3 blocks when they were rammed by a police truck!

There were some great photos in the local papers of one Dumb A** on his belly in cuffs, and the other being attended to by the Red Cross with leg injuries. (It seems cycle vs. Police Truck is bad for the cycle!) So both are in jail. The Secretary of Tourism Dr. Francisco Cordova was right on the scene as soon as he found out, and he was able to return the mans gold chain to him within a few moments of the assault.

So Mazatlan is not immune, but the response was pretty amazing. As has been noted, the city, state, and federal governments take this VERY seriously. In addition to all the other patrols the Tourist Police have a dozen men patrolling the tourist corridors on bicycles. So I have to say.....Congratulations Mazatlan! Well done.

Gr.Rapids Minnesota
reviews: 4
1. Re: It had to happen.....

Ditto Roger !! Good job and I'll second everything on the man's carrying of expensive "bait" ! I thought everyone knew the rules and I'm sure the cruise lines give out informational pamphlets, or have some kind of "Welcome" meeting expressing the do's & don'ts. Well most of us know !

Wisconsin
2. Re: It had to happen.....

I recollect the pastor of the vineyard church wrote a very readable book about 'dumb gringoes' or some such. Was a very good read. Perhaps this poor schmuck shoulda read it..

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
3. Re: It had to happen.....

Note to Roger: Puerto Vallarta is getting hit big time now by the Scooter guy as well...seems to go with the off season need for money for whatever!! Only there he seems to be carrying knives...ouch...

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
4. Re: It had to happen.....

"Snatch and grab" is probably the most common type of crime in the world. (No, I don't have statistics. But I DO read a lot and was in the 'anti crime' business before I moved to Mazatlan) It takes no skill, no planning, and no expensive overhead like guns and get away cars. I have received a copy of the letter put out by the ship to all passengers before arriving in Mazatlan and I believe the fourth thing on the list is 'Do not wear expensive looking jewelry'. Last year one of the 'Blue Shirt' volunteers working at the gangway from the ship noticed a woman walking off LOADED with rings, necklaces, and ear rings. He told her 'Mam, it is really not a good idea to walk around with a lot of jewelry on. Perhaps you should leave it in our cabin, or give it to the Purser on board to hold until you return from your sightseeing.' She got very upset with him and told him it makes her feel better to wear this stuff. And it was no business of his if she chooses to wear it! What can you do?

Someone on another forum pointed out that December can be a difficult month ANYWHERE in the world because it is Christmas and a lot of folks are short of money, and a few will try anything to get a bit. Someone else replied 'Oh, so now I have to be extra careful because it is December?' Well, yea. Not sure where this guy came from, but everywhere I have lived, from Alaska to Mazatlan, the police put out news releases each December cautioning people to be 'extra cautious' in December. To not leave packages on the seat of their car while they are in a store. ESPECIALLY if they are already gift wrapped.

5. Re: It had to happen.....

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:20 am, December 18, 2014