We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Concerned

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 23
Getting Concerned

We don't visit PBM until Feb and it's our first visit, now I see a review that it needs updating "badly" and another that the staff wasn't very helpful. Tell me this is someone very fussy or someone expecting caviar on beer budget? We've been to Puerta Vallarta several times approx same price point hotel, and we were more than happy with our hotel, food, and staff. We're hoping for as good if not better on this our first visit.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 79
1. Re: Getting Concerned

I have never stayed there, but have walked through the lobby and around the pool area. It was very appealing to me! I have friends that DO stay there and they love it. Never a complaint.

San Jose
reviews: 32
2. Re: Getting Concerned

It has been several years since we spent a week there. The grounds and hotel in general were very nice. Our room was a little "dated" but nothing at all that would keep me from going back. It was clean and functional. I can honestly say that the staff was the most accommodating and friendly of any that I have EVER encountered anywhere, and I have been traveling for a very long time. Everyone from the front desk, to the restaurant staff, and even poolside servers. I think you will be fine. I doubt it has changed that much.

Wisconsin
reviews: 23
3. Re: Getting Concerned

Thanks for easing my mind. I can do fine with "dated" just don't want dirt, bugs ick... thanks again. Now I'm pumped up again

Glendale, Arizona
reviews: 10
4. Re: Getting Concerned

We're at PB Maz right now and have been coming here for many years. The staff, grounds and rooms haven't changed much from our first visit to this one. All is well.

If there are cons, the only one as I note in my "We're here" thread, is no longer having free wi-fi access anywhere on the property. It is now prices by the day or by the week. The latter is$72 US.BUT..l'm currently outside our room on the street side logged into the free wi-fi at the Luna Place next door.

One thing that seems to bother some visitors in the weekend influx of locals because it almost always includes lots of youngsters. My wife and I, having raised several kids ourselves, are mostly immune to any effects. LOL

San Jose
reviews: 32
5. Re: Getting Concerned

You may get bugs, it is tropical. They'll be the same bugs as at the fanciest place in town. If you happen to see a gecko in your room leave it there, they eat bugs. :>)

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 202
6. Re: Getting Concerned

I have become a very picky traveler over the years and I love PB Maz. It's one of my favorite places in Mazatlan! It may be a little dated but in a very Mexican traditional way if that makes sense - nice old tiles etc. It is very clean, beautiful and has excellent service. Mazatlan does not have a plethora of new and mega resorts like other places in Cancun, Nuevo Vallarta, Cabo etc. Many of the resorts in Mazatlan are somewhat older but I am sure you will be very happy with PB Maz.

Many on this forum love El Cid (El Moro, Castilla). I have stayed there twice and I don't like it at all. Everyone has their own personal preference. The El Cid Marina is very nice though. PB Emerald Bay is also very beautiful and you can use the amenities there when staying at PB Maz so it's nice to at least go out for a day.

So. for me, if we hadn't recently chosen that condos are the way to go for us, PB Maz would be my first choice. So I'm glad you're excited about your trip again! I'm sure you'll have a great time. When I went there wasn't the influx of children though which would, admittedly, probably not agree with me. Like Tony., we too have raised our kids, but unlike him I now don't want to be surrounded with other peoples' kids!! LOL

Pittsburgh...
reviews: 107
7. Re: Getting Concerned

Keep in mind that people are more likely to write a review if they perceive their experience as negative. I love TA, but I believe reviews are weighted to the negative. It is human nature to tell kore people about a bad experience than a good one. Sad but true!

wa state
reviews: 3
8. Re: Getting Concerned

Been there many times in the past & returning to P.B.Maz. in Dec, we could have traded into any of the resorts in Maz. & chose this one.

Don't fret it's all good.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 31
9. Re: Getting Concerned

Personally I prefer "rustic" to "dated."

PBM is a beautiful place and you will love it. Let us know. By the way, I have writetn several reviews and only one negative one--in Branson, MO

Minnesota
reviews: 2
10. Re: Getting Concerned

I love PBM -- I just wanted to get my 2 cents in as I didn't notice any mention of their beach. It is a wonderful beach for swimming and the lounge chairs are plentiful. When we've stayed at Emerald Bay we would come in just to spend a day at the beach -- and to eat at Cilantros of course!