We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travellers Cheques

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New Westminster...
1 post
Travellers Cheques

Do banks and money exchange kiosks still accept travellers cheques to exchange for pesos?

Sherwood Park...
Level Contributor
584 posts
6 reviews
1. Re: Travellers Cheques

I am sure they would. but why take them? I did not even know you could get them any more?As far as I know everyone just takes there debt cards and uses ATM to get cash.

Calgary, Alberta
Level Contributor
677 posts
28 reviews
2. Re: Travellers Cheques

Hello Mazfan 123,

There are still some places that accept travellers cheques but many of the money exchange kiosks prefer not to deal with them and will refuse to accept them. I've heard that some of the banks in Mazatlan are refusing them as well. The ATMs at the bank and the supermarkets are quite safe and very convenient for those who don't like to carry a lot of cash around.

We set up a vacation account with Scotia Bank and use their ATMs when in Mazatlan and so far it's been hassle free. It's not necessary to do this as we have used the ATMs at various banks around Mexico and never had any issues. We just wanted the Canadian connection.

Edited: 10:38 am, October 20, 2013
Vancouver BC
Destination Expert
for Vancouver
Level Contributor
6,848 posts
163 reviews
3. Re: Travellers Cheques

Chances are if you have Travellers Cheques they will be in US Funds. It doesn't make sense for a Canadian to us US funds in Mexico and lose on the exchange twice. Save those dinosaurs for US travel.

Virginia Beach, VA
Level Contributor
1,080 posts
1 review
4. Re: Travellers Cheques

We always take travelers checks and exchange them at our hotel (PBMaz) with no problem. Old fashioned but it works for us.

gimli manitoba
Level Contributor
26 posts
5. Re: Travellers Cheques

We always use travellers cheques - Canadian funds

No problems Bancomer Golden zone or old town

You need your passport for ID

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,536 posts
20 reviews
6. Re: Travellers Cheques

Far easier to use an ATM card and get pesos at the bank IMHO. Better exchange rate and if you have an ATM card that has no fee and no Foreign Exchange fee you are in great shape. Bank ATM and the "Wall bank" just south of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan are safe and convenient.

Rocky Mountains
Level Contributor
116 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Travellers Cheques

last time i was in mazatlan i TRIED to use an american express travel cheque at the airport exchange - signed the cheque right in front of the guy and he refused it!!!!!! seriously! had a manager come and explained it all - he wouldnt take it either - luckily i work at a bank and was able to bring it home and deal with it - but i so easily could have been ripped right off - my advice, do not bring travellers cheques to mexico

Saskatoon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,478 posts
110 reviews
8. Re: Travellers Cheques

Most banks will tell you an archaic way to do business. Just order pesos before your trip. Easy Peasy. Do they still make them?

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
3,040 posts
202 reviews
9. Re: Travellers Cheques

Judy - As I just posted in another thread, I ordered a bunch of pesos and picked them up yesterday from my bank. I only got 11.47 as an exchange rate. While there is some benefit., cuz I ordered lots of 20's, 50's, 100's so I don't have to worry about small change when I'm down there, you'll get a better rate at the ATMs in Mazatlan - even with the fees charged by the ATM and the international fees charged by your bank (if any). I'll do a comparison once I do a withdrawal in Mazatlan and post the comparison but I think we'll find that the ATM is the best way to go. I'm also opening a Scotia Bank account which doesn't charge international fees so that should make the rate even better (although the locations of Scotia Bank aren't the most convenient).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
241 posts
10. Re: Travellers Cheques

The only people I know who still use travelers checks are those who work under the table and want a safe way to store cash.