We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

BEWARE OF STORE FRONT MEDICAL CLINIC!!!!!!

Just wanted to let people know to beware of the store front medical clinic on main boulevard. My husband had a heat stroke and was taken there by ambulance. We thought we were going to the large hospital. (They called this a hospital.) Not what we had envision. They tried to say my husband needed all kinds of things he did not and that a special doctor needed to come. My daughter, who was fortunately with us is a RN and bilingual and realized the scam going on. In the end my husband got better and we were threaten to come up with $750 in 5 minutes or they were calling the police and said we do not want to make them mad. My daughter told them that they didn't need to call the police that she was going out on the street and flag down the police. Boy, were they surprised! We had about 10 police show up right away and they were on our side. The police got us a taxi and got us out of there!!!! There never was any kind of doctors report or official bill. BEWARE AND STAY AWAY!!!!!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
13 reviews
11. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

Well, I certainly hope it WAS them. Because they are certainly getting the blame for it either way, aren't they? And if what you saw was nothing ike what was on their website, it may have been another clinic entirely.

I have heard these same types of complaints abpout Sharp Hospital, Hospital Clinica Del Mar, and just about every other medical facility here in Mazatlan over the years.

Fruitvale, CO
Level Contributor
303 posts
11 reviews
12. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

Roger I find it odd that you are critical of others suggesting it was the old Balboa clinic but yet were quick to throw the clinic by the Costa de Oro under the bus.

We used this clinic on a reconmendation. After treatment found they did not take credit cards and had no cash with us. They told us to come in when convenient to pay the bill. They were surprised when we returned with payment. I don't see them acting like the op warned.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
13 reviews
13. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

Read my post again please. (Start with post #4) I didn't throw any clinic under a bus. I MENTIONED that there are several, INCLUDING the one in front of the Costa which, by the description of the original poster, could just as easily have been the one.

My criticism is not that a complaint was made. It is because the way it was made it could apply to several businesses. Only ONE of which is the offending business in this case.

If I said I ate at a restaurant in Fruitvale and got deathly sick from it, but could not provide a better description, I would have harmed the business in EVERY restaurant there. Not just the one where I got sick. Because no one would know which one to avoid. Just don't eat at a restaurant in that town.

Lake Minnewawa, mn
Level Contributor
2,764 posts
14. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

We have been going to MZT for over twenty years.

I only know of Balboa and the the Costo de Oro clinic in the area described

We have never heard a complaint about Costo de Oro but have heard untold numbers of horror stories about the basic kidnappings at Balboa

.Balboa is the only one that has ambulances, Costo does not.

Where are these other two storefront clinics?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
5,182 posts
35 reviews
15. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

"I have heard these same types of complaints abpout Sharp Hospital, Hospital Clinica Del Mar, and just about every other medical facility here in Mazatlan over the years."

Based on your analogy, you are guilty of the same thing by throwing the Costa De Oro clinic "under the bus"

Sorry Roger, but you should follow my Dad's advice. "If you're digging yourself a hole you should stop digging."

LOL

Santa Rosa, CA
Level Contributor
205 posts
2 reviews
16. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

This was my first trip to Mazatlan and according to these post this is a common occurrence in Mazatlan. There doesn't seem to be this problem in Puerto Vallarta, Cabo, or Playa del Carmen which I go frequently too.

California
Level Contributor
2,292 posts
17. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

I believe you may have misread or misunderstood the posts in this thread K_Sun, since your experience is actually not common.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
Level Contributor
3,363 posts
13 reviews
18. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

"Based on your analogy, you are guilty of the same thing by throwing the Costa De Oro clinic "under the bus"

Woosh!!! The sound of an example pasing over someones head. I also stated I have heard the same types of comments about ALL hospitals and clinics in Mazatlan. I could name them all, but then I would be accused of throwing them all "Under the bus'. The point is, pay attention here, that ALL hospitals and clinics in Mazatlan have been accused of doing this or other sins. Probably all have at some time or other, done something wrong. But to take a post with nearly NO identifying info on it, and applying it to one particular business based on past rumors and innuendo is far from ethical. The storys about people being 'held against their will', 'nearly kidnapped', threatened with arrest', etc. are simply pretty far fetched. I have never, repeat never, seen anything close to that actually happen here. What I HAVE seen is people embelishing their storys, AND/OR people magnifying a miss understanding due to language difficulties.

Do you not think that if all these storys were true, it would have hit one of the news papers here? Never mind being acted on by the authoraties. I have done some asking around among my Mexican friends here and they have told me it is EXPECTED that they provide a deposit when they go to a hospital. But no one, at any facility, has ever enn threatened in this way.

My wife, as you know, provided billing services for clinics and hospitals here. She was not an employee, she was an independent contractor. Balboa was ONE OF the places she provided this service. Not once was she able to verify a single clame like this. Not once was did she have a claim rejected or reduced due to over billing. She of course has not done this type of work for several years. That is because the same rediculious rumors were attached to her because she provided service to Balboa. But people still believe it, and it will always be around. Just like Elvis is still alive and Area 51 really has alien body's.

I can easily believe that over charging DOES occure from time to time. I can also believe that these clinics and hospitals get pretty forceful at times. (They are a BUSINESS after all) However I do not believe anyone has ever been 'deprived of liberty'. That would be kidnapping and I believe, taken very seriously.

It would just be nice to know A. WHICH clinic was guilty in this case. And B. WHO made the threats? The doctor? Someone at the desk? An ambulance driver?

I am all for posting complaints of poor service or abusive treatment so long as there is enough information to determine WHERE it actually happened. I am against applying a rumor to a business based on past rumors or personal opinions. To be accurate is not that tough, is it?

Salt Lake City Ut
Level Contributor
6 posts
5 reviews
19. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

Clinica del Mar, Revolucion 5, Mazatlan - excellent experience, recommended to us by ex-pat friends. My wife came down with a throat and sinus infection, went to the Urgencia entrance and were signed in by bi-lingual reception, examined by a bi-lingual doctor. Prescriptions were the same as she would have been given in the US. Cost of the visit 290 pesos, 3 prescriptions totaled 300 pesos at Mega. Quicker, cheaper and on a par with the US.

20. Re: Beware of Store Front Medical Clinic!!!!!!!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:19 am, February 24, 2015