We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Santa Rosa, CA
Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Does anyone know if there is a cashier at El Cid El Moro that you can exchange US Dollars for Pesos? I'd rather not have to deal with going to a bank or ATM.

Edited: 6:19 pm, July 31, 2013
Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
1. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I've never stayed there but it's a sure bet the front desk will. Most if not all large hotels do that for their guests but usually at an unfavorable rate of exchange.

San Francisco...
reviews: 73
2. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Yes, they do. No problem.

Millsboro, Delaware
reviews: 28
3. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

You'll be money ahead to leave the cash in your bank account and use your debit card to withdraw pesos from ATM's.

Morris, Illinois
reviews: 15
4. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

There is also a Cashiers desk in the El Cid complex just before you get to the Castilla lobby. A lot of times the cashier at the El Moro front desk has sent me there for cash. BUT, as Ferd says, you will get much more bang for your buck at an ATM. There are two bank ATM's directly across the street from the Castilla and you can walk across the foot bridge to get to them easily. The peso is trading at 12.73 which means you would get about 12.25 or so at an ATM, about 11 ish at a cambrio (Currency Exchange) and less at the hotel.

Edited: 6:35 am, August 01, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
5. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I don't know of any hotel that doesn't charge a hefty premium for this service. We use the ATMs in Maz and never had a problem.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
6. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

I have always been a big supporter of using the ATMs in Mazatlan due to the convenience and the best exchange rate. However, now that the military bank is not in the GZ anymore but WAY down the Malecon it is much less convenient. Their fees for withdrawal are about 18 pesos whereas other bank machines I've used are closer to 60. Huge difference! I've always ordered a considerable amount of pesos from my bank at home before I leave and this trip will just order more and then hit the military bank whenever I am on the Malecon and need extra cash.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 181
7. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

TIp: if you have large bill pesos from an ATM, the cashier at the Castillo will exchange for smaller bills for tips, taxis etc. for no cost.

California
8. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

Banjercito isn't next to the La Canoa Restaurant anymore ?

Ontario
reviews: 3
9. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

It was certainly closed last March...as said they moved half-way down the malecon.

Houston, Texas
reviews: 77
10. Re: Exchanging Us dollars for Pesos at El Cid

When I was at El Cid in March, I found it difficult to exchange large bills for smaller bills. The girl at the front desk stated they frequently run out of the smaller bills.