We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Wisconsin
reviews: 23
Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

We're looking at Puerto Bonito or Bonito Emerald for up comoing vacation, having never been to the are before wonder peoples thoughts on the resort food, are either hotels in walking distance to bars, restaurans, shopping off resort? I'm assuming both resorts are all inclusive also. Thanks for any feed back.

Ontario
reviews: 3
1. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

You'll probably get lots of good info and suggestions, but I'll get the ball rolling.

Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is a beautiful resort, as upscale as it gets in Mazatlan, but it is miles away from anywhere interesting! This suits many people, who swear by it, and all-inclusive is really essential, although you do have regular shuttles to........

Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan, which is at the north end of the Golden Zone, excellent location for many restaurants etc. It is an older property, but well-maintained with first-class service. For most posters on here, we don't recommend all-inclusive, as the options outside the hotel are many, very good, and very reasonable in price....all-inclusive food can become a little, well you know, after a while! However many will take the all-inclusive and still go out as much as they wish, it all depends on the deal you can get, and the benefit of round-the-clock drinks is not to be sneered at....yes?

Both hotels are on the beach, the one at PB Maz is rather more user-friendly, and another advantage of this place is that the buses stop right outside the gate so you can get to the old city, which you must at least once, easily on the big green Sabalo-Centro bus, every fifteen minutes or so.

So much to do and enjoy in Mazatlan, friendly, helpful people all over, but for us, Emerald Bay is too far out.

2. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 6:14 pm, June 17, 2013
3. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 11:24 am, March 29, 2015
Denver, CO
reviews: 41
4. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

Actually you can have your cake and eat it too because with Pueblo Bonito you get two resorts for the price of one. The sister properties are connected by a free shuttle service. We have stayed at both resorts. Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay is beautiful and very nice, top notch. Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan has a great location, near plenty of restaurants and has a great beach that my family loves.

If you are on vacation you want the best and the overall best property is Pueblo Bonito Emerald Bay. What I recommend is to stay at PBEB and you will have great rooms, pools and ground. However you absolutely must take advantage of the sister property of Pueblo Bonito Mazatlan. For example, pack you beach gear, take an early shuttle and hang at the PBM beach all day. You will have resort charging access at both properties. Another day or two after hanging at the PBEB pool all day, take an early evening shuttle and walk to the local restaurants near PBM. Make sure you get the free shuttle reservation at the concierge since some of the shuttles will "sell out".

The closest restaurant to PBEB is Mr. Lionso's Playa Bruja which I highly recommend. Please note that you will still need a cab to get there.

So stay at the nicer one but please spend time at both, you will only be getting half of what is available to you if you don't.

Sheboygan, Wisconsin
5. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

Thanks for all the info, gets me excited to plan. The last few years we go ai since we're with several couples some veg some explore, find ai great for breakfast, dinner if you stick around all day, and of course drinks with out carrying a wad of $$. We try to get reasonably priced resorts, so out to eat afew times for a change of pace, doesn't break the bank, and checking local restaurants and bars is just fun. We usually go to Bucerias near Puerta Vallarta, and that village and people are awesome, but time to spread our wings and try something new. A few of our travelers have expressed safety concerns, I'm hoping it is a non worry?? Keep the comments coming, again thank yuo

Wisconsin
reviews: 23
6. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

above reply is from Jill who posted originally, couldn't remember my password. thanks for all the infi

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 31
7. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

With so many people involved, I personally would go with the less expensive of the two. I'm guessing it will be PB Mazatlan, which is a good choice. Actually you can't miss with either place. I live in Mazatlan 6 months a year, and the other 6 months outside of Tacoma, WA. I have more safety concerns in the US then in Mexico. Emergency health care is excellent. Public transportation is superb, taxi's are relatively inexpensive. I'm sure you will all enjoy Mazatlan--and the people.

chicago
reviews: 7
8. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

Neils decribed the resorts perfectly. Go with what you prefer, but I would pick PB Maz b/c I like to walk out the hotel and have restuarants, souvenir shops, frequent buses, liquor store, more action, etc...

I've travelled to many places in Mexico. The food, the people, the authentic feeIing, the beaches - Mazatlan is by far the best!! Well, I guess I wish the water was super blue like Cancun - but you can't have everything, right?? I have never felt unsafe in Mazatlan, probably why I keep going back year after year.

It's great to see someone from Wisconsin heading down there. Flight tip if you haven't booked yet - My family and I always do the milwaukee-phoenix-maz route on US air. It's the most dependable and most reasonably priced.

Onalaska, WI
reviews: 30
9. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

I know everyone is all wild about all inclusive but in Maz it doesn't make a lot of sense. Restaurants good and cheap. The PB Maz has at least 4 within a block. Also consider the Palms, used to be the Holiday Inn. Great place. You may contact me if you want. We go to Maz regularly.

Edited: 1:05 pm, July 14, 2013
Escanaba, Michigan
reviews: 1
10. Re: Planning stages of first trip to Mazatlan

Hi there.we are thinking about mazatlan first week in mar 2014.not sure about weather.we were in cabo last yr and weather never got above mid 70s during day.also between pueblo bonito and pbeb.....want the swimmable beach pb has to offer,looking at reviews would be closer to town which we like.wondering how food,pools,and swimup bar,entertainment are?any suggestions would help.

Get answers to your questions about Mazatlan