We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 13
Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Posted today: travelweekly.com/Mexico-Travel/…

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 7
21. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

I am saddened to read that we are re-visiting these old stories; my history in Mazatlan is short; just returned from my second visit and stayed 9 weeks both last year and this one. I was scared *&??% last year to visit after all the safety concerns shared by every Tom Dick and Mary that I knew or didn't know. The first week there we walked with guarded foot, looked over our shoulder wherever we went and encountered nothing but great friendly people and wondered what all the fuss was about . By week 2 we decided to enjoy ourselves and go about our business which meant going out at night in well known areas and all we experienced was a great time. This year we were even more relaxed but the city seemed much more vibrant and again we enjoyed every moment of our time there and were not the least bit worried about safety. This does not mean we are careless, of course not we are vigilant as we are in our own community and anywhere we travel. We are returning next year and we expect to have a very safe and wonderful holiday and we hope to see many more tourists doing like we do in Maz: living life to the fullest!

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
22. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Well said Ontario and it shows what a disservice these type of threads do. It's too bad that you had to walk around for a week looking over your shoulder. I don't think it's going to be a long hard climb at all Birdman; the turn-around is well under way! I'm leaving the day after tomorrow! The fact that someone has to reach back that far to dredge up an incident speaks volumes. Oh well, it's just what some people have to do but as you say Birdman; Life is good!

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
23. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

"Another reason for the cruise ships not going to Maz anymore might be the fact that the area around the cruise ship dock is not one of the nicer areas of the City to put it mildly." Gee, thanks for trashing my neighborhood! (I live 3 blocks away in Playa Sur, which is a very nice neighborhood.) While there are a couple streets you could walk down that are not great, if you follow the 'Blue Line' (Which I suppose is extreemly difficult for some folks) you will be in a Mexican middle class neighborhood with houses costing from $150,000 US to $350,000 US. Cruise ships tend to dock in PORTS. And as a rule, PORTS tend to have some industrial areas. I have seen the cruise terminal in Long Beach, and while 'Port's 'O Call' is pretty nice, it is only astrip next to the harbor. Go another 2 or 3 blocks and it is "not one of the nicer areas of the city to put it mildly."

Mazatlan, Mexico
24. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

OK, Guys. The reason we are dredging up two year old stuff is because the original poster linked to someone who said that there were no incidents that were tourist related that should cause the cruise ships to stop coming here two years ago, and I call her on on that.

Mazatlan is very very very safe for tourists, but do not say it is perfect unless you have proof.

If the link had said that there were some very minor things that happened and the cruise lines totally overreacted I would have never posted. And again I say, these things were not minor to the victims.

And perhaps some good has been done. At least two posters did not know that the Canadian who was shot was not in the Golden Zone, but miles away. How many others who read this did not know this? Now Falconroger has corrected this incorrect thinking.

To anyone still reading, I may only have a few posts, but I have much Mexican experience, mostly in all the major Port Cities on the west coast from Zihuatanego to Bahia de Los Angles in northern Baja.. I chose to live in Mazatlan full time. It was not a difficult choice, the people of Mazatlan are head and shoulders above anyone else in the world, in my opinion. Many times I have told people who question my living here that most of the people in Mazatlan have very little, but they would gladly share half with you. I could not think of living anywhere else. I do not live in the Golden zone, but in the colonias. I totally believe that Mazatlan is a very safe city. I believe that the tourist areas of this city are some of the safest in the world. I recently rediscovered this board and I visit here often to read of the excitement of the people coming here, the trip reports and roll calls. They remind me of me 20 years ago when I was a vacation type instead of the full timer I am now.

Sorry if this thread ruffled some feathers.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
25. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Good post! The main problem for Mazatlan is that 'perception' became 'reality', in so far as people BELIEVEING it was dangerous to come here.

The big problem has always been people who quote statistics which are true, but not related to tourism. There are still a lot of killings in Mexico, and Sinaloa. However they still do not involve, nor even relate to, tourism. But some feel they just HAVE to recite the statistics. My feeling, as always, has been this is the 'Trip Advisor Forum'. It is for people coming here on a TRIP. A vacation. Anything that might involve them is fair game on this forum. However things that DO NOT involve them does not belong. The price of diesel fuel for shrimp boats migh be interesting, but does not belong on THIS forum. We have other forums for residents where we can talk about those subjects.

26. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, May 09, 2014