We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Mazatlán
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 13
Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Posted today: travelweekly.com/Mexico-Travel/…

Ontario, Canada
reviews: 7
1. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Great article, thanks for posting

Mazatlan, Mexico
2. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

I live in Mazatlan full time and consider it very safe.

But I would like the full truth to be told so everyone can make up their own minds with all the facts at their disposal.

Following the link given to us by Mazzi, in the second paragraph of Mrs. Myers' article she states : "None of the incidents impacted or involved tourists, however."

This is untrue. There have been some incidents involving tourists, and specifically cruise ship tourists. I offer this link.

…aol.com/2011/…

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
3. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

The 'Full truth' is there were two purse snatchings, and one crew member lost a laptop. TWO YEARS AGO. The same or much worse has happened in nearly every port where cruise shops dock, or are based. However they rarely make the news. So, in reality, nothing much has happened. Especially compared to other ports of call.

Salishan OR
reviews: 32
4. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Falconroger, if what you say is true, why haven't the cruise lines reacted similarly to "every other port where cruise ships dock"? We consider Mazatlan safe and have been going there for many years, but we don't understand this apparent inconsistency in the cruise lines.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
5. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

You are not alone. We don't understand it either. But consider this. The WORST crimes mentioned in any article about 'danger' in Mazatlan, are three petty crimes. Three. Compare that to recent reports coming from the Caribbean and it is quite obvious there is something other than 'safety of our passengers' at play here.

The new Secretary of Tourism for Sinaloa told a group of us that before he was head of tourism for Sinaloa he had been told (As then head of security for the state of Sinaloa) when he was in meetings with the legal and security departments for the cruise lines that it was a decision based on the (Then) State Department warnings. If they came to a place that was under a State Department warning, they would lose a major defense on law suites should anything happen to a passenger here.

Again, if you look at EVERYTHING being said by every side in the debate, it is quite obvious it was something OTHER than safety.

Mazatlan, Mexico
6. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Falconroger, thank you for your cordial reply. One thing is shown by our posts, neither of us sleeps much in the middle of the night !

I agree with many of the things you point out. Both links reference 2011. For the people attacked in these incidents, it was not a minor thing, but on the grand scale three events with no one physically hurt is hardly a blip. That is a sad comment on our world.

I do not agree that other ports of call do not get bad press for their problems. I do agree that Mexico seems to get more attention for any incident. I did a search for “cruise passengers robbed” and Puerta Vallarta must have had 75% of the first 100 hits. St Lucia got all the rest except for a single mention of Nassau. Subsequent pages told of problems world wide.

The reason I posted was that I do not like to see news scrubbed. When that happens, I must consider what else I am not being told.

Fruitvale, CO
reviews: 10
7. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Without getting into the number of "petty" crimes reported in any Mexican resorts, I was given the following reasons for chosing to go or not go to a port by a senior official at a cruise line.

First, the desire of future passengerd to visit or not visit a port as stated by surveys. Unfortunately, whether justifed or not many still feel Mazatlan is unsafe.

Second, the number of "violent crimes, murders, kidnappings, armed assaults." This is the total number not just on "tourists. This number has been dropping for Mazatlan resulting in the limited return of some cruise ships in 2013 and 2014. If this trend continues, more ships. If it is reversed, less ships.

The company takes their ships where they can fill them with paying customers."

Salishan OR
8. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Hate to bring this up, but in the interest of full disclosure, there was the violent beating of a Canadian woman in one of the RIU elevators in Cerritos. This was a pretty major crime, was recent, and involved a tourist. Not sure what the ultimate outcome of the act was (or will be), but it did give a lot of folks pause about Mazatlan.

Ontario
reviews: 3
9. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

I don't think the RIU incident impacted the cruise ships very much....the lurid press perhaps....but what did impact was that ridiculously stupid shoot-out/assasination in the parking lot and lobby of Las Flores! On a busy cruise ship day, with many cruise ship witnesses? Thankfully no tourist was directly impacted, but many were indirectly impacted, and I am sure spread the word.

I don't keep a detailed diary of such events, but I believe the cruise ships finally dried up immediately after that.....

Salishan OR
10. Re: Travel Weekly - Lessons to Learn from Mazatlan

Yes, Neils, we remember that one too. However, wasn't a Canadian tourist caught in the crossfire and shot - not fatally? Maybe we are not remembering all the details correctly, but we think of it everytime we walk by Las Flores.