We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

markets

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Carbondale...
reviews: 9
markets

Can someone tell me a little about the open air markets? I heard about the shrimp and flower markets too....

Mazatlán, Sin...
1. Re: markets

The only truly comprehensive open air market in Mazatlán is the tianguis in colonia Juarez on Sundays from about 6 a.m. until about 2 p.m. There is one other that concentrates on food items, the farmers' market in el centro at the Zaragoza park from 8 a.m. until 12 p.m. on Saturdays, but it only runs from late fall thru early spring. I think that next Saturday is the last one this spring.

The flower market is on Calle Aquiles Serdan (one-way south toward el centro) and the shrimp market (often called just the "shrimp ladies") is on the same street a couple of blocks further south (if walking, the shrimp ladies are about 5 blocks north of the central mercado and the flower market about 2 blocks further north. Both are open every day. You can't miss either one.

Ontario
reviews: 3
2. Re: markets

Not quite sure what you are asking here, but here are some thoughts.

The markets you are talking about are probably the mercados, which are actually in large buildings, and not really open-air...open to the air perhaps. The one most referred to on here is the Pino Suarez market in Centro, which you can cab to, or ride the Sabalo Centro bus from the Golden Zone. It has a very wide variety of goods on sale seven day a week, and as I mentioned in another thread, we have found the fresh produce consistently excellent. It is also a fascinating place to spend some time wandering around.

There is a smaller market, the name escapes me, just inland from the Fisherman's monument, which we find just as good in general, but as I said, smaller. Finally. for me anyway, is the big market out in Juarez. This is in the biggest colonia in Mazatla, very Mexican, as if the others aren't LOL! and gets a mention on here because there is a huge flea market out there every Sunday morning, which is worth at least one visit if you can fit it in.

During the winter season there are other outdoor markets from time to time...for instance there is now an organic market in Centro each Saturday morning, which is very new, very interesting, but I believe ceases after May.

The shrimp ladies are about six blocks north of the central mercado, a must visit place if you want shrimp, but I have it on good authority they don't sell Alberta shrimp! The flower market, in the old bus station, is another couple of blocks north of the shrimp ladies.

Shoreline...
reviews: 21
3. Re: markets

I'd like to add that while the Pino Suarez Mercado doesn't have wheelchair accessible signs, it does have wide aisles (for the most part). If you happen down an aisle that narrows you can always turn around and get the view from the other direction! I wouldn't miss it were I using a wheelchair. Molika bakery is just a couple of blocks away as well, so after shopping at the Mercado you could pop in for lunch, then to the flower market head to the shrimp ladies and back home. As stated in another thread, busses aren't wheelchair friendly - but I'm sure a cab could accommodate you.

Hmm. Just thinking. Molika might have a fairly large step up to the door. I'm sure Hector would assist you getting in and out if there's an issue.

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
4. Re: markets

The perimeter sidewalk at Pino Suarez Market would certainly be problematic for a wheelchair, along with the steep curbs.

Ontario
reviews: 3
5. Re: markets

I can't remember in detail, but aren't there ramps at the intersections? I have seen wheel-chairs on those sidewalks.

Shoreline...
6. Re: markets

Tony,

I'd agree if you were trying to navigate the perimeter on the sidewalk. I don't think there'd be too much trouble if you just use it to get to an entrance.

Waukesha, Wisconsin
reviews: 1
7. Re: markets

Yes, there are ramps cut and some even built throughout Maz.

Carbondale...
reviews: 9
8. Re: markets

Thank you all for your help and insight! We will be arriving Saturday, provided I don't have a nervous breakdown first!

Shoreline...
9. Re: markets

Have a great time, and don't forget to let us know how everything went once you get home (or sooner)!

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 54
10. Re: markets

Supper good, fresh and cheap. Much better then the big grocery stores and you'll be supporting the local small businesses.