We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report March 2013

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 11
Trip Report March 2013

I arrived on Tuesday March 12 and a cab was sent from the hotel to pick me up. Very considerate gesture.

My room was ready and I was in it within ten minutes of arriving. I unpacked after I cleaned the welcome sign off my bed made from tiny little rocks. I just put them in a glass and left them on the night table.

First thing I did was check the bathtub plug. Of course it was broken. It always is. I called maintenance and

got it corrected.

I curbed my instinct to go straight to the beach and I stuck to my plan. I got all business and bill paying out of the way the first afternoon. I put minutes on my phone and it was about 6.30 when I got back to the hotel. I had a nap, as I had endured 3 time changes in a 5 day period. The prior Thursday we were in Whistler so that was one hour earlier. Then when we got back to Edmonton the time change was in effect so that made it two hours later. One day later, I had to fly to Mazatlan so it was one hour earlier again.

When I woke up it was 8.30 so I didn't bother going out for dinner. I just slept until the next day.

I was on the beach by 10 and I ordered my usual cheese and grapes for breakfast. Bea and Jim were already there and soon my sister found me on the beach.

This vacation was pure relaxation. I really didn't do anything except lie around, eat and drink.

We went to Panchos a couple of times and to Diegos only once.

We went to Tres Amigos once and walked out after 3 minutes.

We went to the market once and Maria got a parking ticket. There was no amount listed on it and she said she won't have to pay it until she re registers her car.

I went to El Presidio the first Friday I was there, with Katy, Chuck, Meaghan and Chad.

It was very nice and afterwards we walked around the Plaza Machado looking at all the stuff for sale. Very impressive.

Then on Sunday it was the St. Patricks day pub crawl. Salem from the Funky Monkey was there and Meaghan, Chad and people from his hotel. We were at Yoopers the longest then at Roots.

The bands ending at 11 is really annoying as usually things don't get going until that time.

Apparently nothing can be done about it and that's the new rule. I went to Roots one other time when they had a blues jam and one girl was absolutely fantastic. She was like a Janis Joplin clone.

We went to GusyGus 3 or 4 times and other than that, we just stayed on the beach during the day.

After a week and a half I was dying to get back home.

I think the Whistler trip burned me out before I even got to Mazatlan. I had no choice. The timing was bad. I had breakfast at the Inn once with Katy and Chuck and was very impressed. It's very nice there.

Overall, it was a nice relaxing two weeks but honestly, I think three weeks is the most I would like to spend there now all at one time.

There is so much to do at home in the winter, even though I hate the driving. I'm lucky that I don't plan my life around vacations. Maria has lived there for over a year now and she is thinking of coming back.

Whether or not she will remains to be seen.

It seemed slightly livelier than it has been in the recent past so that's a good sign for their economy I suppose.

I might go again in October or November. Or early December, as long as I'm at home for Christmas and New Years Eve.

We booked a suite in Malaga at the Grangefield Oasis Club ( El Cid Vacation Club ) for our vacation this May/June but we cancelled it after researching it on the internet. To get ANYWHERE from that resort, you'd have to rent a car and there is no way either of us will be driving after drinking. NOT cool!

In about 5 weeks we are off to England and Spain. We are going to scout out properties in both locations and make a decision. Hopefully, we can get rid of our Mazatlan condos soon. We don't need them and we were foolish to buy them but everyone makes mistakes. At the time of purchase we both thought we wanted to live in Mazatlan. We realise now that we don't.

I'm very happy to stay at the Moro when I go to Mazatlan. It has everything I need. An ocean view, super staff, friendly vendors, and everytime I turn around I see somebody that I know.

As usual, it was a nice getaway and I'll be back soon.

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
11. Re: Trip Report March 2013

I'm with you Birdman. Ten days is perfect, that or three months!

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 31
12. Re: Trip Report March 2013

For me it has been six months for 15 years and we love it. Some changes are not so good, but overall, Mazatlan just gets better as we meet more people.

13. Re: Trip Report March 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, April 11, 2014