We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rodo Padilla

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 83
Rodo Padilla

I don't know how many other people are Rodo Padilla fans but I sure am. He is a Mexican Artist (I thought he was from Puerto Vallarta but I've read some stuff on the internet that suggests that Guadalajara claims him as their own - so anyone who knows for sure I'd be interested to know).

We have always loved his art and have collected many pieces over the years. We have always respectfully referred to them as "Fat Mexicans" but I've seen other posts refer to them as the "chubby guys". They are ceramic figurines in various forms.

The fun that we've discovered is that on our last trip to Playa Del Carmen in November we found a "Fat Cory". Cory is our oldest son and has played football his entire life since he was six years old. He always wore the number 12 and almost always played for a team whose colours were blue. Well wouldn't you know it, we found a "Fat Mexican" that is a football player, with the number 12, with a blue jersey. We couldn't even believe it! What luck!!

So this trip we went into the Michael Gallery that always carries Rodo Padilla's (the main one in the Golden Zone - the other one further north closer to PB Maz doesn't carry them nor does the one on the side street by Panama) and we found a man and a woman tanning on loungers - perfect for my husband and I as we spend A LOT of time tanning! We negotiated for the best deal we could get at Michael's but still thought it was too high.

While luncheoning later in the week at Pancho's though, we found that Pancho is carrying a huge selection of Rodo Padilla"s for GREAT prices! He didn't have the two pieces we wanted but said he would get them in by Friday afternoon before our departure. We went back and bought them and now we have a "Fat Laura" and "Fat Philly" to match our "Fat Cory". Perfect! Now we just have to find one for our youngest son Nikko. I went online and they do have one that is jet skiing and I did fork out a significant fortune for our son to jet ski this trip so that may be the one!

Anyways, if you like Rodo Padilla - look at Pancho's for great prices.

11 replies to this topic
1. Re: Rodo Padilla

I just bought a piece in his gallery in Tlaquepaque area of Guadalajara. The authentic certificate that came with the piece states that he was born in Tlaquepaque, Jalisco, Mexico. I, too, love his pieces.

Shoreline...
reviews: 11
2. Re: Rodo Padilla

Ok, that's funny! Too bad the white isn't green - it could be a seahawk 12th man :)

http://rodopadilla.com/figuras/view/71

Edmonton, Canada
3. Re: Rodo Padilla

That is my son's Rodo Padilla that I was referring to. He is a football player, those are his teams colours and he wears number 12. I have it in my living room. Next to these ones for my husband and I in our lounge chairs with drinks in hand:

http://rodopadilla.com/files/icons/c56h.jpg

http://rodopadilla.com/files/icons/c56m.jpg

Not great pics cuz you can't see the entire figurine. Maybe I can find better ones - but you get the idea.

Seattle all the way!!!!!

Edited: 12:49 am, January 21, 2014
Edmonton, Canada
4. Re: Rodo Padilla

Here, these are better:

http://www.rodopadilla.com/files/c56h.jpg

http://www.rodopadilla.com/files/c56m.jpg

Aren't they fun?!

Best selection still at Michael's Gallery and at Pancho's.

Shoreline...
reviews: 11
5. Re: Rodo Padilla

I've seen photos of those for a few years ... maybe I'll have to pick one up in July (or in Nov when I go to Puerto Vallarta). Yet another tchotchke for the dog's tail to fling across the room!

Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: Rodo Padilla

They are WAY more expensive in PV. Weird. Originally thought it was because he was from there but appears not. Look in Mazatlan if you're interested - way better deal. My best prices were in Punta Cana, believe it or not, and Playa Del Carmen - but Mazatlan prices match PDC.

Illinois
reviews: 361
7. Re: Rodo Padilla

Thanks for sharing. We always go to Pancho's on the beach, but have never noticed these. Will check it out in February.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
8. Re: Rodo Padilla

If my memory serves me a few years ago the Carnaval theme was his work and he did several big figures along the malecon. He also did the family monument near Valentino's.

chicago
reviews: 5
9. Re: Rodo Padilla

These are awesome keepsakes!!

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 1
10. Re: Rodo Padilla

Actually the the Family Monument next to Valentino's was done by Antonio Lopez Saenz. Speaking of, the Museo de Arte is doing a large exhibit of his work in February.

Reply to: Rodo Padilla
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted