We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malecon tips?

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 22
Malecon tips?

What is a good time to walk (a portion) of the Malecon, and any can't miss restaurant along the way? Also, where is a good starting point, def want to see the statues/artwork... Are they scattered from one end to the other... Isn't it like miles long.. If so, would be a couple (few?) days event.

California
1. Re: Malecon tips?

The statues along the Malacon are scattered along they way, however they're more at the South end.

As far as a good time to walk it that's all in the eye of the beholder Chuck. If it's expected to be hot you'll see lots of folks out early. In fact sometimes it can be rather crowded in the first hour or two after sunrise with (very friendly) local Mazalecos walking, rollerblading, jogging, etc. In the winter or on cooler days the Malacon can make for a great walk in the early afternoon, when the warm sun is out but the ocean breezes keeps it from being too warm.

Where to start probably depends on where you're staying. Most people start at the Valentinos complex where the Golden Zone ends, and walk toward Old Town to a point where they feel it's time to walk around. To mix it up a bit let me suggest you also try taking the bus that says Sabalo Centro toward Old Town and get off right where it turns inland away from the Malacon. Then walk back toward Valentinos / Golden Zone.

San Francisco...
reviews: 68
2. Re: Malecon tips?

Lupe's Lokos on Playa Norte, right off the malecon. Best whole snapper and best flan in town. I think it's across from Hotel Cima or thereabouts.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 94
3. Re: Malecon tips?

Might I suggest you take a Pulmonia to Water's Edge on Sunday morning for a beautiful brunch in Olas Altas (across from the Motorcycle Monument) and then walk that brunch off by walking back to Valentino's. We planned to stop for several drinks and appies along the way but only stopped once (at the boat restaurant immediately south of the skateboard park) and then made it all the way to Valentino's when we clearly needed a beverage. We stopped at a wine bar - someone help me out with the name - Los Bodegos - something or other. We thought it would be expensive but it was not and had a great view back of the huge Malecon we just walked!

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
4. Re: Malecon tips?

I always enjoy walking the Malecon at sunset as it really seems to come to life as the views of the ocean and people watching are at their peak. This may not hold true duirng the winter as I have only been to Mazatlan in January and February a couple of times. As Aquamaz pointed out, there are more attractions toward the south end but I enjoy it from Valentinos southward.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 22
5. Re: Malecon tips?

Thanks everyone. SunSeeker I like the Sunday brunch idea, how far is Waters Edge to PB Maz? Is that walkable? My guess is no. Tony, the around sunset idea also seems good timing for good pictures and general people watching. We will be there in May so it will start to be heating up there I think.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 94
6. Re: Malecon tips?

We have certainly walked from Water's Edge to PB Maz and it's doable if you're used to long walks. I wouldn't necessarily suggest walking both to Water's Edge and then back again. But after brunch it's a beautiful walk back and the breeze off the ocean kept it comfortable.

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
7. Re: Malecon tips?

The great thing about walking on the Malecon or Cameron Sabalo for that matter is that when you tire of walking a pulmonia is rarely more than a hand gesture away! I'll be in Mazatlan for ten days starting on May 8th and will certainly take a daily walk on the Malecon. And yes the weather should be warm in May. Enjoy Mazatlan Chuck.

Edited: 1:32 pm, April 07, 2013
8. Re: Malecon tips?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 09, 2014