We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A great vacation so far.

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
A great vacation so far.

We are into our third week of sun and warm weather in Mazatlan. What a great vacation we have had. I'm not looking forward to our exodus back to reality next Saturday.

We chose to rent a condo away from the Golden Zone rather than stay at one of the many Resort Hotels and what a great decision that was for us. We took a condo out in Cerritos and have thus far enjoyed 3 weeks of peace and quiet. The place is great. a large 3 bedroom, with every amenity we would want. A very nice pool area and sun deck and we're right on the beach. The staff here are first rate and they keep the place spotless.

If we want to go out somewhere, the bus stops just a few steps from our front door (of course the bus stops virtually anywhere, just hold up your hand) or we can grab a pulmonia which are plentiful and reasonably priced (after negotiation of course).

Best of all we haven't had to run the gauntlet of "Time Share Sharks" trying to lure us out the Rui Emerald Bay or La Jolla.

We've tried a few of the local restaurants and haven't had a bad meal yet.

Los Arcos: A very nice restaurant. Great clam chowder and their beef and shrimp skewers are very tasty.

Mr. Lionso's: A wonderful restaurant out at Playa Bruhas. Fabulous coconut shrimp and 2 for 1 margaritas and sangrias. Try their coffee or amaretto flavoured tequila.

The Seafarer: A very nice restaurant overlooking the marina. A great steak and seafood place.

The Last Drop: The tee shirt doesn't lie. The best burger and pizza south of the border.

La Marina Yacht and Tennis Club: They have a great restaurant on the second floor with dinner special every Monday, Wednesday and Friday evening.

We made it through the Easter weekend crowds and are gearing up for Moto week. It's a zoo in the Golden Zone but pretty quiet out here.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
1. Re: A great vacation so far.

Great report K-Man. Thanks for posting. Glad you're having a great time! I agree - condo living is the way to go!!

Edited: 4:07 pm, April 04, 2013
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
2. Re: A great vacation so far.

I'm glad you enjoy condo living SS, but I prefer being on a resort.

I stayed at one of my condos a couple of times but found it very boring ( on the golf course ) so as soon as I got mobile....I'd drive the golf cart to the walkway at the Granada and head over to the beach.

After that, I've never stayed in either of them again.

Everyone can't like the same thing obviously.

Calgary, Alberta
3. Re: A great vacation so far.

The beach is right out our back door at the condo we rented so I guess it's a matter of location. We can get to the Golden Zone in a matter of minutes by either hopping the bus or going through the El Cid Marina grounds.

I like the atmosphere of the Golden Zone during the day but in the evening I like my peace and quiet. I like to sit by the pool during the day and have a pleasant conversation or read a book without the din created by the resort DJ blasting out techno-rock drivel at 200 decibels. I realize not all resorts do that but you know that many of them do.

I look at it this way. After 2 weeks of resort living in the Golden Zone I'm ready to go home. I've been at the condo for a month and I wish I'd booked more time here. As Gillian says "Everyone can't like the same thing obviously".

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
4. Re: A great vacation so far.

It sounds like a great place to spend a month or more K-man.

Saskatoon, Canada
reviews: 93
5. Re: A great vacation so far.

Gracias, glad you enjoyed your time in Mazatlan.

Edmonton
reviews: 12
6. Re: A great vacation so far.

I hear you K-man, last May my husband and I spent 12 days at the Jalisco Rui in PV. All in all it was a fantastic vacation, but every day the same crap played over the sound system so loud we had to communicate with sign language! The pool area is beautiful at that hotel, but we ended up moving farther away from our resort front just so we didn't have to hear the music and loudspeaker chatter. We would much rather listen to the waves and gaze out onto the ocean all afternoon, and enjoy conversation

I like the action of a resort but love to get away from it too. Next vacation we will be staying on ice box hill right by the OMI. We can walk down or hop a bus to the golden zone and enjoy the beaches and pools then head back to the casa and enjoy the sunset and drinks from our rooftop terrace. Well, that's the plan, heading to Mazatlan for 2 wks on Saturday and so looking forward to warm weather and ocean views. We still have snow on the ground here.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
7. Re: A great vacation so far.

I agree that everyone's wants and needs are different. Here's what I loved about condo living:

1) Didn't have to play the towel game first thing the in the am. Especially during Samana Santa when it got so busy we had a private pool to retreat to. Having said that, there were many residents that would enjoy the pool, particularly in the afternoon for "happy hour" so we were never bored. Also, the pool area was completely non-smoking - bonus!!

2) When the sunset came we had a beautiful place to enjoy it. My husband, son and myself all had our own electronic devices so we could do what we wanted to do in our "down time" that didn't involve three of us cramming onto two beds in a hotel room. This made our vacation amazing!

3) There were three of us in a three bedroom, three bath condo. More than we needed clearly and we never used all the space but boy it sure was nice to have it.

4) And no disrespect intended to others that feel differently - but I hated our time at El Cid - and I know others love it. There were constantly people yelling and screaming down the hallways, dragging their furniture across the floors above us causing nothing but noise, and the food was terrible! The pools were crowded, the drinks were watered down and the ambiance and view couldn't compare to what we enjoyed in the condo. I loved the fact that in the condo we were able to buy the items we wanted/needed and had our choice of restaurants for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I've been a huge advocate for all inclusives in the past and I always looked for ones with the most amount of a la carte restaurants. The most is usually 7, 9, 11, for really high end resorts which increased what you paid (other cheaper properties have only two or three). When you live in a condo you literally have 100's of restaurants to choose from every night! It was awesome!!

And for those that get bored - the resorts in Mazatlan welcome guests that aren't staying there so if you want to go to any of them (with the exception of the completely AI like the RIU) you can.

It's like living at home - which is why, I think, like K-Man, you can stay longer then at a resort.

Edited: 2:19 am, April 08, 2013
Shoreline...
reviews: 16
8. Re: A great vacation so far.

My preference would be to stay someplace like the Loro de Oro - but I know I'd have difficulty following through in the planning/execution stages (I get distracted). The timeshare works best; it's there week 28 every year. All I have to do is put a note in my maintenance fee payment saying I'm using it that year, and buy my airline ticket. Bottom line is whichever way I did it, I'd be in Mazatlan, enjoying the sun and the beach and the food!

Houston, Texas
9. Re: A great vacation so far.

K-Man,

Would you mind sharing the name of the place you stayed? I've been looking at a few options but it sounds like where you stayed is exactly what I'm looking for, unless it's a high rise condo of some sort.

Also, you mentioned Los Arcos, which I'm a big fan of. However, they are a chain restaurant, so keep that in mind if you travel to other parts of Mexico. They are found inland in places such as Guadalajara as well, for example.

Calgary, Alberta
10. Re: A great vacation so far.

Hello Shawn,

Please check your personal messages