We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

In cooperation with: Visit Mexico
Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 193
What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

So gotta say it was a BEAUTIFUL day in Mazatlan today. Absolutely gorgeous. Not a cloud in the sky. We really had a great day.

Oddly enough though I got burnt today! I thought I was sufficiently tanned that I didn't have to worry about it but when we met our friends for dinner all that she could keep commenting on is how red my face was. Then FranL (from Trip Advisor) stopped by to say hello because I had said we were having dinner at Minnesota Café and also commented on how red I was. Weird - on what day is again? Oh yeah, day twelve. Didn't think I'd have to worry so much about sunscreen when we've already tanned so well.

Nice to see you again Fran. Thanks for stopping by! We also saw Marcel and Pat again today who we met on the road several days ago and have run into about three or four times already.

So my quest for great food continues to be a bust! As reported on another post my breakfast at Allegro Café was a disappointment (surprisingly). We skipped lunch cuz we had an early dinner reservation with friends. We went to Minnesota Café. I gotta say, we won't go there again. We've been there before and weren't impressed. It was really hot in the restaurant the last time we visited and they didn't turn the AC on and it wasn't much better this time. Also, I can't stand the ambiance. The lights are bright, bright, bright and I'm all about the ambiance. There was supposed to music tonight but there was none.

And the food - well, I was totally disappointed! Are the prices and deals great - absolutely! You can't beat it. Two for one steaks, ribs etc. and then 20% off on Tuesdays and Thursdays with bottles of wine for 70 pesos. Where can you beat that? But the ribs were drowning in sauce and the sauce was not that good. Not anywhere near as good as Fat Fish. Our friends that we went with though will never eat at Fat Fish so I asked them why. They said, "Have you ever seen that grill? They never clean it." I don't know but the taste is so good that it can't be that bad! And at the heat that they run it, it must kill anything bad that is on it. Anyways, we won't be returning to Minnesota Café. I always look for great food and a great ambiance and will pay more for it if I have to. Don't get me wrong - this is a great place to go to if you're on a budget and looking for a deal. I'm just looking for something more.

Only a few nights left and my last couple days have been a bust in terms of food so I'll have to fix that! We have a Mexican party planned with friends tomorrow night which will be great. Carne Asada and all the fixings - and Tequila for the guys! Thursday we are heading to the Aquarium but hope to fit a lunch in there somewhere. Thursday night is a free night so maybe Mr. Lobster for the Lobster Thermidor which I've been wanting to try forever. Friday night we have reservations at El Presidio and it is Art Walk Night in Plaza Machado. Then flying home on Saturday - to hopefully prevent any flooding that may occur in Edmonton if there is a fast thaw from all the snow we received this winter.

Good news - we've already booked a condo for a MONTH for December and over Xmas and New Years. Way too excited!!

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
reviews: 46
1. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

That sun is strong... I've been here over 2 months and got burned along with my mexican friends today. I have to say that the ocean is sure warming up nicely.

I totally agree with you on Minnesota Cafe! Fat Fish is sooo much better but having a friend find an ant in their salad.. ewww I hate bugs! A well seasoned grill is more appealing.

I've enjoyed following your days and I'm sure it's a great help for others. Thanks for taking the time..

Saint Cloud...
2. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Do you just rent the condo like a hotel, or do you have to buy in? I think it sounds awesome.

Edmonton
reviews: 12
3. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

All the south facing yards are bare today, but still plenty of white stuff in the shaded areas and maybe a shower today. Light snow predicted for the weekend .... darn north Enjoying your postings!

Edited: 9:42 am, April 03, 2013
Saginaw, Minnesota
reviews: 43
4. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Great update again, thanks. Yes it was a beautiful day. Good thing I spent a lot of the day shopping and in the room boiling shrimp. Only one burner worked (poorly) so what should have taken maybe 45 minutes ended up taking 2 hours, but it did keep me from getting burnt so I guess that is a good thing. So I might give Fat Fish a try tonight for ribs. I swore that I would never eat there again but after reading so many positive reviews think I will give them a 2nd chance. I ate at Tony's on the beach, Mexican plate, service was so-so but the food was good. I don't know what they seasoned the beef with but it was delicious, might go back just to have a steak.

Edmonton, Canada
5. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Glad to hear that others got burned yesterday too. Well, I'm not glad but you know what I mean!

Squirrel - we just rented the condo from one of the many sites. VRBO is a good one but there are others. It really is the way to go and can end up even being cheaper than what we pay for a resort.

haven - really?? Any reports of flooding?

Jack - yes I think you should give Fat Fish a try again. We really enjoyed our food there. And if you like Tony's you should try Loco's Loco's.

Mazatlan, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 8
6. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Just to let you know sunseeker, I got burned 2 weeks ago at the Spring International Week car show. And I LIVE here and drive a convertible most days!

Manitoba, Canada
reviews: 4
7. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Have really been enjoying reading all your posts Sunseeker.Just wondering if you ever tried Twisted Mamas

for a meal.The food is great.She does a stuffed chicken breast with a chilpote sauce,and the fish and chips are the best in Mazatlan that we have found.

Edmonton, Canada
8. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

We had Christmas dinner at Twisted Mama's this year. It was great! We plan to book for next Xmas as well all though I've heard rumours that she may close down. I hope not but I understand how hard it is to keep a restaurant open in this economy and when it's seasonal.

Black Hawk
reviews: 1
9. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Humbly recommend Rico's Coffee Shop across from the Inn at Mazatlan for breakfast.. Omelettes and French Toast are to die for. Oh and I love the coffee; fffffresh! However, prices are not rock bottom.

Black Hawk
reviews: 1
10. Re: What Day Is It - Ok, Day Twelve

Humbly recommend Rico's Coffee Shop across from the Inn at Mazatlan for breakfast.. Omelettes and French Toast are to die for. Oh and I love the coffee; fffffresh! However, prices are not rock bottom.