We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Vino Tinto

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lacombe, AB,
Vino Tinto

Hello, we are on our way to our paradise tomorrow morning. We were wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a great red wine, preferably a Shiraz or Merlot, but we are open to any suggestions, also where are you getting it. Thank you so much. We can hardly wait for the sun and sand, I don't think we will get any sleep tonight,

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
1. Re: Vino Tinto

I admittedly am a quantity not a quality wine drinker (lol) but I have always found that Mega has a good selection of quality wines. There is also a really nice wine store down on the Malecon.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 7
2. Re: Vino Tinto

We have been buying a nice malbec from Argentina. Luigi Bosca....usually Sams club. Its a little pricey. I think you can also sometimes pick it up at Mega or Soriannas. Quite a few wine stores have opened up. You won't have any problem finding a good red wine. White might be more difficult.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 1
3. Re: Vino Tinto

Stick with the Chileans.

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 4
4. Re: Vino Tinto

Norton Malbec is the only red I like to drink. I believe its Argentinian.

San Diego...
5. Re: Vino Tinto

Gillian,

Totally agree. The winery is Bodega Norton in the Mendoza region of Argentina. Actually all of the Mendoza Malbecs are pretty decent. They're designed to go with beef which is another Argentina specialty.

Kimo

Edmonton, Canada
6. Re: Vino Tinto

The Vino Tinto that I'm drinking right now was about $3 per litre at Mega. Embarrassing I know! Why am I even admitting that? Probably too much cheap wine! It is deck time though.

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
7. Re: Vino Tinto

Padre Kino?? I love to mix the red wine with the Fanta Fresa over a tall glass of ice!! Like the old time Cold Duck!! My Mexican friends love it that way, too...as many of them do not like wine...they grew up on beer...so it is a fun drink to make.

Padre Kino or not...enjoy!! Price isn't important...if you can swallow it, and you like it...that is all that counts!! (And if you save a lot per bottle..all the more wines on the balcony!!)

Sad you are going home...what will I read now??

Edmonton, Canada
8. Re: Vino Tinto

TravelJudy - you had me rolling on the floor reading your post. I ran out of wine today and had to resort to buying some Padre Kino at the Mercado - paid 80 pesos! The stuff I got at Mega for $3 per litre was in the litre box - California White and California Red. So I really upgraded when I moved up to the Padre Kino tonight!!

I think if the Trip Advisor community all just pitched in a few bucks I could stay here and just keep posting!!

Zihuatanejo, Mexico
Destination Expert
for Ixtapa, Zihuatanejo, Cabo San Lucas
reviews: 6
9. Re: Vino Tinto

OH...I love that...but have ONLY found it in Mazatlan...never any other place. And it was good!! I so agree.

When I was working groups on the cruise lines I got to go to all the wine tasting sessions. I always had to laugh at the wine snobs who JUST KNEW which wine was the most expensive...talking on and on about how they knew their wines. Hey...it is either good or bad to me...know nothing more. And about 75% of the time they were wrong and it was the cheap wine! They got embrassed and tried to make excuses for their errors. You and me...we make no excuses...we just drink what we think tastes good...and look at all the money we save! We both get to do Mexico a lot that way!! So who wins...you and me hands down!!!

Safe trip home...and now I will be bored with this forum without you. Really enjoyed your reports...think you should be the Destination Expert...not much action happening from most of them!! Always good to have the LIVE on the street reports from someone like you! Goood job!!

Edmonton, Canada
10. Re: Vino Tinto

TravelJudy - you again made me laugh! Glad we like the same wine! We'll have to get together for some at some point.

I had to laugh on our West Jet flight home. The Flight Attendant asked me about 1 1/2 hours before the end of the flight whether she could close my tab. I said, "No, I'll probably have one more". She looked at me weird and said she was worried because I had already had four wine. I said is my behavior causing you some concern and she said no. I was actually offended because a) I was sitting in my seat quietly, not bothering anyone and just enjoying my wine (well, if truth be told it was a crappy Merlot so I wasn't REALLY enjoying it! 2) It's a five hour flight - seriously! and 3) that's just darn offensive. Have you read my posts??!! I can drink way more than that in five hours!! LOL. Sunwing would never question my drinking habits!!

Thanks for the accolades. I really appreciate it! But I'm certainly no expert. Just know what I like! And from reading my posts you would think it's just food, food and more food - and wine, wine and more wine of course!

Edited: 8:39 pm, April 06, 2013