We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going off resort

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Going off resort

Just want to be sure it is safe to go off resort. I will be there with my daughter and we would like to go into the golden zone or take a cab ride into Mazatlan. Any concerns or recommendations about going to either place would be appreciated.

Thanks

Edmonton
reviews: 12
11. Re: Going off resort

Hi Pink,

You will miss a great deal if you don't get out of your resort. Take the local green bus and go downtown to old Mazatlan. A few years back my nephew went to Mazatlan and stayed at a resort in the north end. When he returned, I asked him how he enjoyed his vacation , he said he did not like Mazatlan at all because there was nothing to do there, nothing to see, and it was so boring! Turned out he never went into town, he never even knew there was a whole beautiful city to explore!

You will love it! Go during the late afternoon and walk around. You can always take a taxi back to your resort after it gets dark. Bring pesos from home . Any bank will have them or will get them for you, certainly no need for US dollars. I also use my credit card with no problems. When is your trip and where are you staying?

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
12. Re: Going off resort

" "the dangerous north country" is only dangerous if you are looking for trouble; dealing or buying drugs, trolling for prositutes, hanging out in seedy bars & areas ect. ; )"

Bird...While I take your point, try to tell that to, the people in the Colorado movie theater and the kids/staff at the Connecticut school.

Ontario
reviews: 3
13. Re: Going off resort

Bit late coming to this question, but I have to say that is is a total non-issue as far as we are concerned. In nine tears of visiting Mazatlan, for close to three months this winter, we venture out all over the city every day without any incidents or concerns. Of course, we are careful late at night, and in certain areas that you can sense pretty well where you don't belong, but that's no different from where you live, I am guessing?

Go and enjoy...the people are the friendliest and most helpful.

Mazatlan, Mexico
reviews: 7
14. Re: Going off resort

Pink, in response to paying the cabs with U.S. dollars, I suggest you convert your bucks to pesos. Goes much further and easier. They will take dollars, but I think you will be paying more for any services if you do this. Also, you are in Mexico pay in pesos, if visitors come to Toronto you would not expect them to pay in pesos. Makes life much easier for them in the long run. I bring pesos ordered at the bank or AMA and then I use the bank machines to withdraw $$.. Just let your bank know the dates you will be in Mexico.

Edited: 8:03 pm, April 03, 2013
Toronto, Canada
15. Re: Going off resort

Has anyone taken the fun bus tour from the rui emerald bay?

Vancouver Island...
16. Re: Going off resort

Really some people on these forums need to get a reality check. The person asked a legitimate question and granted some of you gave a nice simple answer. To start equating the Colorado and Connecticut shootings to vacation in Mazatlan ridiculous and demeaning, and very disrespectful to the families in those tragic events. Seems the pat answer on these forums is to relate violence in Canada and the US to safety in Mexico. That isn't what was asked.

Pink, the answer to your question had been given in this thread, I would disregard all the clap-trap.

Toronto, Canada
17. Re: Going off resort

Hi I'm going April 23rd and I am staying at rui emerald bay.

18. Re: Going off resort

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, April 10, 2014