We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Going off resort

Which Mazatlan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Toronto, Canada
Going off resort

Just want to be sure it is safe to go off resort. I will be there with my daughter and we would like to go into the golden zone or take a cab ride into Mazatlan. Any concerns or recommendations about going to either place would be appreciated.

Thanks

Chatham, Canada
reviews: 2
1. Re: Going off resort

Safer than going to a mall in Toronto where they had another shooting this weekend................

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
2. Re: Going off resort

Not only are you totally safe going off resort in Mazatlan. you would miss the entire experience if you didn't. The Golden Zone, the Malecon, Plaza Machado, Centro. Olas Altas, Playa Brujas are all very safe and must visit places on a trip to Mazatlan. Enjoy your trip!

Carson City, Nevada
reviews: 5
3. Re: Going off resort

You won't get a fresher update than sunseeker37. She has been there for over a week and if you read some of her daily updates you'll see how safe it is for a family. Enjoy!

San Diego...
4. Re: Going off resort

Plus 1 Tony

Calgary, Alberta
reviews: 28
5. Re: Going off resort

Hello Pink,

Read Sunseeker37's post. It is an accurate assessment of Maz. If you stay on the resort not only will you miss a great experience you will miss a lot of what is Mazatlan. Not only will you pay more for everything on the resort but you will likely be inundated with requests to listen to the "Time Share presentation". You don't want to do this. It's not worth wasting a half day of your very short holiday.

Mazatlan is quite safe. Great restaurants, friendly people, lots to see and do. Take a few tours, go out and explore. You will have a great time.

Mazatlan
Destination Expert
for Mazatlan
reviews: 29
6. Re: Going off resort

I've been here almost 6 months and felt safe every day. In fact I'm not looking forward to going back to the "dangerous" north country of the Seattle-Tacoma area in a couple weeks.

Toronto, Canada
7. Re: Going off resort

Thanks for your response. Did you take a cab to these different areas and do they accept us dollars?

Thanks again

Edmonton, Canada
reviews: 106
8. Re: Going off resort

Cabs and pulmonias are plentiful and cheap. The buses are also very easy to navigate and are also safe. They will accept US dollars but it is very easy to get pesos from your bank before you leave home or go to an ATM upon arrival and take out some pesos. The exchange rate is about the best you can get and the fees are reasonable depending on which bank you use (see my other post on this subject).

wa state
reviews: 3
9. Re: Going off resort

Much like Mazatlan & most of Mexico for that matter "the dangerous north country" is only dangerous if you are looking for trouble; dealing or buying drugs, trolling for prositutes, hanging out in seedy bars & areas ect. ; )

wa state
reviews: 3
10. Re: Going off resort

Pink,

Which resort are you staying at?

You may not need to do anything more than walk a few blocks one way or the other to be in the "Golden Zone"